Adding power amp to Atom

I currently have an Atom, powering a pair of Spendor A6 speakers. Considering adding a pre-owned NAP 250 because I don’t think I’m getting everything the Spendors have to offer. Not about volume, as I’m limited by neighbours etc. Would the addition of the NAP 250 give me a significant improvement in SQ, or am I just prey to upgradeitis? Cash is limited to about a grand.

Search throws up at least a dozen threads with identical or similar titles; what did you learn from those threads and posts?
In simple terms, unless you plan to add streamer and NAC at some point, then Atom, good as it is, will be the weak point and goes against source first. I’ve said similar about Nova and adding a NAP.
Consider a s/h Nova, trading in your Atom and adding the funds you have available.
As always audition, if you can do. so in your own listening room; it’s only your judgement that counts.

The threads I found were mostly about whether it was possible, rather than whether it was worthwhile, hence the question. Thanks anyway.

If you add a power amp to the Atom, the latter will always be the limiting factor. I’d suggest two options; upgrade the Atom to a Nova, or swap the Spendors for some smaller speakers that will match the Atom.

1 Like

In the same position except I have Spendor A1s. Reading through the forum, It seems that NAP100-200 probably are not worth the upgrade. NAP250DR is worth the upgrade, but probably over the budget of £1000, even with good deals on second hand equipment as a result of others upgradeitis.

I think for the budget you wont find anything which significantly improves the the setup.
I would suggest to wait and save some more. A power amp that complements the Atom/HE would be an interesting proposition. :eyes:

1 Like

Helpful, thanks very much. The Nova it is, I think (can’t bear to part with the Spendors, they’re so lovely). Right, just have to convince Mrs R…

1 Like

I don’t know your speaker model, but I have Spendor SA1 on wall brackets in dining room, driven by a Nova. Very pleased with the result, so I’m another who view Spendor as potential good match with Naim.

1 Like

I had the Atom hooked up to my LS50 meta’s originally, but then I made the classic mistake of visiting the Bristol hifi show, where the new Spendor A7s blew me away. Couldn’t afford them, but couldn’t resist this pair of old A6s on eBay at a bargain price. They sound terrific (my mate’s cry of “they just disappear!” was accurate), but I know they have more to offer. Anyway, quick trip out yesterday, and there’s a Nova with my name on it…

That’s the spirit!

1 Like

Shhh… don’t tell Mrs R!

It’s probably not worth adding a power amp to an Atom, or a Nova, as the source will become the limiting factor. It’s probably an “all or nothing” situation - stick with your all in one player or go down the full blown separates route…

1 Like

My current system is a little bit Frankenstien but it works for me and sounds better with the cheapish monoblocs attached to the Atom front end, well to my ears anyway!! When I bought it I did so because for my ears I heard no real difference with the speakers I auditioned versus a Nova :thinking: Most people do hear the Nova as far better but I just didn’t get it. I’m now thinking about moving on up the scale but not decided whether I should change speakers, amps or front end first. I guess my point is if you can get a demo try it and see it may work for you…

Why don’t you try NAP 200? There are plenty of s/h NAP 200s on the auction site. It will you give extra power and control, it will not unbalance the system as NAP 250. If you buy s/h you will still get a lot of change from a grand. If you don’t like the result, you can always sell the power amp with very little risk.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.