Adding Supercap DR to NAC-202/NAP-200, is it give huge differences?

Hi Friends

I happen to be using the Naim system like this:

CD Player : CDX
Pre Amplifier : NAC-202
Power Supply for NAC-202 : NAPSC
Power Amplifier : NAP-200
Power Supply for NAP-200 : HiCap DR

My question is, is it a significant thing or something that is important or brings a very real/meaningful change if I add Supercap DR to my system above?

Please advise

Thank you

1 Like

Replace the nap200 by a nap250dr. And trade in the 200/202 combination for a 282. For about the same money you are going to spend on a SC you get an uplift that really makes a differnce. Trust me

4 Likes

The hicap is power supply for 202
If Cd is only source would get xps or xps dr for cdx before upgrading to a supercap
Source first
David

4 Likes

thanks sir, NAC-202/NAP-200 is enough for me

3 Likes

thanks for correction
can I use Supercap DR to power CDX ? using burndy connection

Then forget the Supercap and get an XPS(DR). As suggested by @davidf .
And no,afaik you can not use the Supercap to power the CDX.
Adding a Supercap to a 202/200/HiCap combo will bring no meaningfull change imho. Overkill.

6 Likes

No. The Supercap is a power supply for a pre amp only 282 or 252.

3 Likes

Or trade in cdx for streamer ND5X2.
I moved from cds2 to streaming and couldn’t be happier.
A new world of music at your fingertips not to mention Naim radio with literally hundreds of stations, many in hidef.
David

4 Likes

I would trade in the 202 for a 282. Then take on a home demo with maybe a NDX 2.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Definitely a 282 first.

2 Likes

Thought about doing a SC on 282 (+ 250DR) but couldn’t reconcile the price and there are mixed views on the VFM

Well in my view the 282 is a paradigm shift over the 202. I would go 282/200 before a HC or SC on the 202.

3 Likes

I once auditioned a 202/Supercap/200 and it was not a happy combination.

As others have indicated, keeping the Hicap while swapping the 202 for a 282 was a much more successful and musical combination

1 Like

The 202/200 are your weak links, spend the money there first imo. The SC will be a waste on that set up.

I’d go for a 282/250DR before a SCDR.

2 Likes

I have a feeling you know better than most of the people giving you advice…

Hi @primemerkava you posted this back in August, so it appears you haven’t had your current system running for very long. My advice before changing anything would be to give it more time and check the set up is correct and opitimised.

If you have a large CD collection and want to continue with that then you should go source first and add an XPS or XPSDR to your CDX depending which player you have. This will make a large difference to the amount of information pulled out of the discs and sound more musical too.

As for the amplifier or power supply changes I agree with others - a 282 would be a far better choice than adding a SuperCap.

4 Likes

just get a SN3

1 Like

thank you, I’ll follow your suggestion

2 Likes

I’m intrigued now :slight_smile: wondering which suggestion you will follow …

1 Like

I don’t know speakers, room size or what you usually listen to - but, if still needed, here is another voice saying: -

1. A Supercap will bring nothing to this system.

2. If it sounds good, just enjoy it as it is until or unless you get a strong urge to hear what benefit more spending can bring. Spend any spare cash this year on CDs perhaps?

3. If and when you do ever want to investigate upgrades, the logical step would be either (a) to add an XPS to the CDX (unless you want to change to streaming with ND5XS2 or NDX2), or (b) to replace 202/200 with 282/250 (with the preamp just beating the power amp for urgency of upgrade).

4. Either source or amplification upgrade should make a worthwhile difference to SQ. The amplification change will cost more - and IMHO will probably have a bigger impact. However, I would encourage you to ‘try before you buy’ even if you do get to that point.

3 Likes