Adding Supercap DR to NAC-202/NAP-200, is it give huge differences?

To be fair, a Supercap will absolutely optimise the power supply to the 202 but it’s definitely not the best use of resources

4 Likes

While in theory this may be true, would a 202 even be transparent enough to reveal the differences? (not taking into consideration VFM, or price vs performance). As someone who at one point had a single HCDR, dual HCDR & then SCDR on a 282, I would echo most of the above posts, that a SCDR on a 202 isn’t a logical step (unless the plan is to go to a 252 eventually).

2 Likes

What people are saying, very politely, here is that a Supercap will expose the weaknesses in your amplification rather than build on the strengths.

1 Like

Supercap DR will sound great on a 202 but it’s not a great use of money

Better to upgrade your preamp to a much better and greater sounding NAC 282

For the same amount of money you will get more musical upgrade

3 Likes

thank you
I’m satisfied with NAC-202/NAP-200 with Hicap DR and NAPSC, I this they are enough, far more enough. But a few weeks ago, there’s offer from my friend for Supercap, after hearing many opinion in this group, I think it not neccesary adding Supercap to my system

1 Like

Well done. A good conclusion and hopefully you will be happy with what you have

2 Likes

For many years I ran same system as you, awesome set up yet many on this forum write off the 202/200, I can’t undserstand why. The bare 202:200 are way better for aw than any SN, the napsc and hicap puts them further ahead again. Lovely amps that give a great sound, are upgradeable when finds permit and can be had for little money. I’d buy your mate’s s’cap though, sell it and make some pocket money as they are highly sought after

Because here at hyperbole central the laws of diminishing returns must be denied of their existence, otherwise how are you going to feel good about spending twice the money for a different presentation…

1 Like

I think it’s a very tricky question as there are so many permutations and most of us will not have tried them all.

Which speakers are you using as a NAP upgrade might be more beneficial if they are ‘difficult’ to drive though Naim things being as they are your current combo is more than pretty capable of powering most things.

do you use Hicap DR and NAPSC too?

Go for the Supercap,any Supercap easily outperform a Hicap DR.Secondhand Supercaps are not so easy to find.I have tried Supercap vs Hicap on a Nac 202.When you have the opportunity you should listen to a Nac 82 a completely different level.

I used a 200 (non Dr) for a number of years on CDX2, NDX and LP12 - I would look at 282 first with HCDR and then SC - 282 is lovely powered by HCDR - takes 282 on to a whole new level with SCDR

1 Like

I ran 202/200 bare from new (2006) until a couple years ago when I found a well priced napsc, shortly after I found a dr hicap also keenly priced. (I was pleased with the original sound, I can’t honestly say i noticed any difference in sq using these external power sources even though the amps are now in effect ‘DR’d)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.