Advice on cheap entry to streaming

For the past couple of years I’ve been using a ProJect Bluetooth Box E to enable playback of a portable Sony device via Apt X and also Amazon music through my phone to my bedroom system.

Unfortunately the ProJect has died so I’m looking at a cheap entry level streamer that will also allow the Apt X connection and playback of Amazon Music either directly or via Bluetooth from my phone.

I’m thinking of a Bluesound Node as the upper limit of what I’d like to spend. I also want something that’s pretty much plug and play.

Any advice before I phone my dealer next week would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Steve O.

Primare Prisma might be worth a look at £449, it has bluetooth, Airplay2, Spotify connect?

3 Likes

ifi Zen Stream.

Streams from anything. Just add DAC. Costs next to nothing.

3 Likes

Bluesound Node is hard to beat for affordable streaming and even beyond when used with a good external dac. The new Node (130) is especially nice. App is great and very stable. Interfaces for Apple, Windows, Android whatever you need. I have an NDX 2 on my primary system but also have 3 Nodes being used in my house wired and wifi.

1 Like

Another vote for the node here. If you want cheap bluetooth streaming though, chinese bt with aptx hd are cheap as chips on amazon or ebay etc.

1 Like

Bluesound Node or Allo Katana ( with included DAC) or Allo DigiOne ( without DAC) is what I use

1 Like

Bluesound Node if it is in your budget. Excellent piece of kit.

1 Like

How much is that?

Thanks for replies so far.
When I first found the Project had died this morning my first thought was to get another. But as it’s already failed once before (power supply) I’ve decided that at just under 2 years old it’s not reliable enough and a false economy. For that reason I want a good, solid, reliable unit for around the £500 mark.
I basically need to be able to do what the Project Box did, so Bluetooth Apt X, plus if it were to stream Amazon Music directly that would be great.
I only use the Amazon Music to audition potential vinyl purchases.

£549 is the price I’ve found online.

New Node or the Node 2i previously owned will do much more than you are asking for.

1 Like

On the popular auction site there is a Powernode 2I being shown at 360 pounds with a day or so to go. Just add speakers and its a bedroom system all in one.

Cheers but there’s a Nait5i, CD5i and Tannoy 603’s already in situ.

1 Like

Node 2i will suit that set up well imo.

1 Like

Apple AirPort Extreme / RCA to DIN, stream Airplay 2 from your choice of iDevice.

Move up to optical out & external DAC if that’s not good enough.

I started out with digital radio into the front 3.5mm Jack using an iPad and/or iPhone 4s.

Cheap as chips & works for me

Thanks but I don’t have any Apple devices.

Looks like it’s going to be a Node.
Thanks all for the advice.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.