Advice on new purchase

I like monkfish very much but find it very hard to cook at home. Unless you get the membrane off it curls up and goes rubbery. I’ve not tried mullet.

With good reason: of all hifi components, speakers have the greatest influence on the overall character of a system’s sound.

Of course the amp has to at least be capable of adequately controlling the speakers, and a source needs to be of reasonable quality - though with streaming these days that need not necessarily cost the earth.

For the sake of clarity I have no knowledge as to how well the Star’s power amp can control the Supra (are these speakers an easy or difficult load?), nor am I familiar with the Star’s DAC, so I can’t say one way or another how good the OP’s proposed combination would sound, and can only suggest auditioning: if it sounds good, and better, to the OP, than other combinations, then why not??? N.B. In my view it is vital to audition speakers as they all sound so different, and what one person loves another maybhate.

The answer to the original question: Can the Star drive the Focal Sopra 2? The answer is ‘yes’ it certainly can. The Sopra has a high sensitivity, and the Star has a substantial amount of power, so no problems in that regard.

However, I am not sure of the pairing, and not for the reasons given by others. The Sopras are very big speakers that will dominate the room visually; even a large room. But the Star is designed to blend with the room, even is the room is quite small, so I don’t see why the visual impact matters in one regard, but not in the other.

It has high sensitivity but the impedance curve is not completely benign.

It will probably work, but the questions is what defines “work”. Even though a Star can drive Sopra 2s without overheating or killing the drivers by distortion, it seems to me that one thing is often lost during the course of these mullet discussions: Would a different split of funds provide more enjoyment? And in my experience, it is often the case.

The Star and the Sopra 2 are a 21K euros system. For the same money, one could get, in the Naim world, an SN3, NDX2, 10K speakers (leaving out the CD for now). It’s just one more box and IMHO the OP should at least compare.

4 Likes

It’s not just about power. Of course the Star can get noise out of the Sopra 2, and lots of it. But this ignores the small matter of quality. £12,000 speakers need similarly good electronics to shine in the way they can. All too often we hear from people who buy big expensive speakers and aren’t happy with the sound. On enquiry it turns out that they are using inadequate electronics, and are then faced with very serious expenditure in order to get a good match. The NDX2, SN3 and Kanta 2s would make for a much better balanced system; one that’s far more likely to provide long term enjoyment.

2 Likes

The proposed system is very imbalanced. It immediately causes issues with the next step upgrade path. It would cost a fortune to buy sources/amps to get the best out of those speakers.

Thank you- this is invaluable advice. As to size the room is very large and has no ceiling, so size and power will be important. Thanks again

Agree completely with Suedkiez.
Naim / Focal advertise Nova with Focal Kanta and Ndx2 / 282/250 with Sopra 2. There must be a reason.

1 Like

I am intrigued! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Room treatment could be fun…

One room mode less to worry about

So that would be the garden then.

2 Likes

I was leaning more towards a large gazebo but a garden may well be involved.

So it never rains where you live ?

You mean it is open to the sky?

Heaven?

3 Likes

Hopefully we’ll get a photo of the space at some point to put our minds at ease.

I just checked on google. Apparently houses without ceiling and walls exist. At least they are described as such.

2 Likes

A pyramid ?

2 Likes

Maybe go Grande Utopia in that case, not sure the Star would like it though, back to the original point.

1 Like