Advice on Speaker Cable Connections

Just playing around with a few alternatives and was wondering what is the preffered option for connecting speaker cables:-

A - main to bass and jumpers to treble

B - main to treble and jumpers to base

or this is allowed and is it better than A or B

C - main left to bass and jumper to treble with main right to treble and jumper to bass

My main is Naim Supra and the jumpers (pro-tem) are Naim NACA5

1 Like

Like this

1 Like

What’s that? Did you mean Super Lumina?

:small_blue_diamond: AndyP,…Option C,…I call this cross-join.
In most cases where I have tried with single-wire to bi-wire in the speakers,…option C sounds best.

/Peder🙂

Been there & have the tee shirt.
With F connections, not jumpers, with my speakers, it makes no difference.
Testing expectations, imagination & other self inflicted kidology runs riot, but cold light of day … no difference.
But if you do end up preferring one way over the other, OK, go with it.

There is an article on the Chord cables website, they argue towards C

:small_blue_diamond:Have a little short of time,but have to comment.

You really hear different in England against Sweden,and those in the rest of the world that we have contact with,…they hear the same differences as we do…but it’s okay.

On our forum,when I wrote about this with option C two years ago.
:black_small_square:Everyone who tested heard a difference for the better with option C.
And everyone on that forum is “Attention To Detail” guys.

It is the same,as when Simon in Suffolk claims that there is no difference with a Linear Power Supply to a Cisco 2960-switch.

You have to be deaf to not hear the musical difference for the better.
It’s probably because he’s not tried,but just speculates :wink:.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks to one and all - very interesting indeed re comments on option C

And yes sorry main is Naim Super Lumina

So you’ll not be taking any chances on soldering an F-connection, then!

Peder, if you want to insult the forum, go ahead, but you might loose a few friends. It might be that Sweden follows the rest of the flock, it might be that the Naim forum people are something else, but maybe best that you don’t judge.
And repeating that “Attention to Detail” mantra has become very tiresome.

My post relates to my speakers, they are unique in that I made them to my own design, you don’t know how I have them wired or what I have inside them, so how can you possibly make a judgement.
I spent a lot of time over the various connection methods & concluded although there was a difference, it was small & the question of ‘better’ was purely subjective.

3 Likes

So why do you buy HiFi from a company run by people who cannot hear properly?

I tried all 3 versions.
And ended up using option A

1 Like

If you are referring here to your reference to a Cusco switch, any effect will depend on your network, and the environment it is in, the equipment it is feeding, as well as the system then played through, room and ears. It is entirely possible that effects of something in one person’s network may be different in another network.

As for effects of which way the speaker terminals are connected, A, B and C in the OP’s case, provided that the connections are well made, if there is any difference it will be very small, and my expectation is that it would require a very analytical system and very analytical listening for it to be apparent.

But to the OP, it is so simple to try all three, you can simply decide for yourself, and if no difference leave in the way that lets the cables run best.

Depends on the speakers and your preference. Tried all 3 many times for months and settled with A. My criteria is a full and balanced bass and A gives me that. Folks who favour less bass may prefer the other 2 connections.

1 Like

If the difference is anything more than right on the limits of audibility, this implies that your jumpers aren’t a sufficiently good connection.

1 Like

The best connection is to use speakers with single binding posts

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.