Advice please for buying a Camera/Lens for Bird and Wildlife Photography

You can ignore 95% of this thread thenšŸ¤£

5 Likes

Equally when you look at what some smartphones can now achieveā€¦

2 Likes

As @Ryder35 says above. Ignore almost all of this thread.
We were spending money that you didnā€™t haveā€¦ :crazy_face:

(you could easily spend over Ā£1000 just on a lens, for a DSLR or Mirrorless)

Oh hang onā€¦ Isnā€™t that normal on hereā€¦?

2 Likes

We might have Ā£1.5K but you can see the ballpark we are in.

But would consider S/H.

2 Likes

Full frame means close to 35mm format - so a 24 by 36mm sensor.

Crop means close to APS-C format - so a 16 by 24mm sensor (Nikon size).

In terms of Focal length, if FF is 1, then Crop is times 1.5. This helps at longer focal lengths, but works against wide angles.

For the Crop sensor, the lens image circle can be smaller, so lenses can be smaller & lighter - relative to full frame.

Crop Factor

1 Like

Should get you a DSLR plus one long-ish lens, maybeā€¦ Pre-loved.

Butā€¦ the weight & bulk might not be to your likingā€¦ :thinking:

2 Likes

To be super clear on @Collywobbles 's behalf, and as stated earlier, a 300mm lens on full frame becomes 450mm on a crop sensor camera. (ie. more telephoto.)

Possibly less relevantly, a 16mm wide angle becomes a 24mm wide angle. (ie. less of a wide angle.)

For reference, a 50mm lens on a full frame camera approximates to the field of view of the human eye. A 50mm lens is traditionally known as a standard lens.

4 Likes

Spot on @Collywobbles :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh Dear.

I fear you could be in serious trouble now. :grinning:

1 Like

If we assume a Crop sensor as being times 1.5 (relative to FF), then a 35mm lens becomes roughly a 50mm equivalent.

1.6x if Canon?

1 Like

For ease of use, weight and spec, the Sony RX10 would be hard to beat. Itā€™s currently in its 4th iteration which has been on the market for several years (since 2017?), so it is available relatively cheaply at present. While you would undoubtedly achieve potentially better quality images with a DSLR, high quality long lens, tripod, etc that combination is inevitably much more expensive, heavier and more complex in use.

3 Likes

But therein lies the problem? So the question to the OP should be ā€œhow far do you wish to go/ how much do you wish to spend?ā€.

Bit like hifi really.

2 Likes

The OP has said he wants to spend about Ā£1000, possibly a bit more. He also favours something lightweight. So to me that suggests anything but a DSLR. I do speak from experience on this as I have had a few DSLRs, most recently a Nikon D850 with an array of expensive lenses. However I find I am using them less nowadays and would prefer something much lighter and simpler to use. I am looking at mirrorless cameras now and trying to identify what best meets my needs.

3 Likes

Possiblyā€¦ I only speak Nikon, sorryā€¦ :expressionless:

1 Like

I love Fuji. But not more moving things. Like speedy wildlife. For fast moving subjects theyā€™re not as strong as others. Xtrans is still tricky for Lightroom too imo.

1 Like

S/H
Canon Eos 5D mark iii, then a Sigma 100/150-500/600 jobby of some sort.

Though an R6 would be much better.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be concentrating too much on selecting a lens.

With the type of photography youā€™re going to be doing, you should be looking for a body that is able to track moving birds and animals. There is no point buying an expensive lens and putting it on a body that canā€™t track/focus moving animals.
Although youā€™ll probably need a fast focusing lens, similar to Canon USM lenses. The performance of a lower quality lens can be enhanced by using software such as DXO.

15 years ago I bought a Canon 40D to photograph cyclists, simply because at the time Canonā€™s tracking and focus capabilities where top notch.

2 Likes

Yes.

Even my obsolete 40D would do the job.

1 Like

Push the boat out a little, and look at the new Canon R50 (Ā£589 from Clifton Cameras) and add the RF 100-400 lens (Ā£618 from Amazon).

A lightweight combo, 375g for the camera and 635g for then lens, and the R50 has a form of subject tracking autofocus.

Info: Canon R50 Camera and Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 Lens

3 Likes