Advice please for buying a Camera/Lens for Bird and Wildlife Photography

I am not sure @Collywobbles is creating a TV production company….
Sure the Sony corporation make many things including hifi

1 Like

We have been here already unfortunately, I recommended hand holdable 800mm f/6.3 for birding…
However the OP has a very limited budget… so options are perhaps adapters for an iPhone or similar or a compact camera with a built in powerful stabilised zoom… such as a Nikon Coolpix, Canon Ixus or Sony Cybershot.
These can work ok if light is good, and the subject is not moving much and fit within budget.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies. I have learnt a lot in the last 48hrs. Many posts have got me digging and reading reviews etc.
It is clear that you have to find the right balance between performance, practicality/portability and cost. Plus it has to come close to expectation of performance and the results you want. We will go and have a look at a few things next week to see if our expectations and budget are even close to each other. We will certainly have a look at the Sony RX10.

Cheers.

2 Likes

You could pick up a 2nd hand one from Wex or similar for under a grand.
This was flying about 50 Ft above me, Swallow tailed Kite

7 Likes

This Is Good… :slightly_smiling_face:

Try not to let this idea turn into a HiFi system. Photography is similar to HiFi, in being potentially ‘equipment heavy’, with far too much shiny & expensive stuff available, both new & used.

Go carefully. Its your money… :thinking:

4 Likes

Decision made:

After a lot of research, reading, reviews, visiting shops, and talking to people we placed an order yesterday. We concluded there was no perfect solution ref quality, magnification, and portability/weight.

We decided to order a Bridge Camera, a Nikon Coolpix P950 for less than £600 new. It is light and has serious magnification ( 2000mm equivalent). The big compromise is it’s small sensor, by definition. We thought long and hard about the Sony RX10 IV which has a bigger sensor but less zoom. We handled both.
My wife has a colleague who shoots wildlife and has the Nikon and her results look more than decent for our needs so long as we are aware of it’s limitations. I think the way to think about it is that it is a phone camera quality with a big zoom on it.
Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

3 Likes

Pleased you have made a decision. And… have not allowed Mission Creep to occur…! (as often occurs in HiFi… This ones a bit better, then there is this… etc)

The Nikon may meet your needs for ever. But if not, it will certainly get you started - with a bang…!!

PS. Don’t get hung up on Sensor size… Size, in photography, isnt always everything… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Well done, Try and find a proper guide book in how to use it so you can get the best benefit from it and not just use in Auto.

Such as Nikon Coolpix P950 User Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Mastering the P950 for Beginners, available from Amazon
The book that comes with them are useless.
Or online tutorials

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.