Advice re Upgrading Digital Front End

As you mention that you like the idea of a streamer with a display, here is something else to consider: The Atom Head Phone Edition (or Atom HE). That gives you the same streamer as the ND5XS2, but with a display, the same DAC, and throws in a very good headphone amp. It also costs less than the ND5XS2.

If it is just the DAC you want to upgrade for now, Naim don’t make a standalone DAC, but you can find many reviews of Topping (for example) which are state of the art, don’t cost too much, and they are easy to obtain new in the US. Personally, I like the Naim streamer user interface, so I stick with that, but you really need to ‘test drive’ the software/interface more than the DAC. Getting a great DAC is easy these days.

3 Likes

Sure, lots of DAC options available.
Chord Qutest and Hugo work well :+1:

The Naim DAC (nDAC) is also an option, if you can find a pre-loved example.

Best wishes
R

1 Like

I decided to go with a new dac, I ordered the new Denafrips Ares 12th-1 R2R dac. I’ll start there and think on the transport side of things for a while. The mini works well and does what I want it to do. The Ares is a dac only, no preamp/headphone features. In my situation, I think the separate dac/streamer makes the most sense right now. While there may be technical reasons, such as rf noise etc, to move from the mini, functionally it works well, and I think it does sound better with Audirvana.

My interest in a streamer probably has more to do with moving to a device intended for audio use only—that can wait for now. I’ll put aside for now the question as to what impact a streamer may have on audio quality.

That one gets good reviews (ASR for example), so I’m sure you will be happy with it. See you in two years…:smile:

What about usb cables?

Good to read you found a way forward! Hope we didn’t confuse you too much :wink: Enjoy the dac.

That question is worth a thread of its own, and there have been many such threads.
In a Naim context at my level I always use either Naim cables or the basic offerings from Chord Company. So in this case the C-USB, leaves the house sound intact.
Since you didn’t pick a Naim or Innuos dac and/or streamer, you’re probably moving in a different direction anyway. Something more exotic may then be in order for the cabling as well. Good luck!

1 Like

I know there are various lines of thought as to the use of computers as servers—issues of power supplies, rf noise, interference from apps and services, wireless, etc. and some of the solutions—from modifications, to exclusive modes to don’t use them at all.

Having decided to move away from vinyl and CDs, my goal is to start piecing together a good digital only internet and local file streaming front end. I suppose I could, but really don’t want to, get involved in applying fixes to problems associated with the mini. First there’s the learning curve then the implementation. As to the mini, it performs well, as to the degree of sonic improvements that might be realized from a change to anything there, I’d rather move to a dedicated server or streamer. But right now the new dac will be the first step in the process.

After that there are the issues of wired v. wireless connections to the router. Right now it’s wireless and I would have to get a cable into the wall for a wired connection. Some servers, like the Lumins, I believe, are wired only. So, there are those issues. Maybe a wireless extender wired to a computer/streamer is a solution.

Then there’s drive enclosures and ssd drives vs. my aging western digital NAS drives.

Roon ready? I don’t know—I do think Audirvana has better sonics than Roon, or at least differences which I prefer. Roon is a great library management app though and Audirvana is a computer only app, so any non-Roon ready or sans Roon streamer/server option will entail the use of a proprietary app or Roon. I imagine it’s possible that Roon’s impact on sonics might not be as much of an issue with a Roon ready device vs. a computer—idk.

All the above being considered, I’m interested in hearing thoughts on what’s worth doing a not doing. I went with the Denafrips primarily because it had pretty good reviews and was budget friendly. This leaves room to consider transport alternatives or peripheral upgrades. There are plenty of Bluesound dealers around here, but not all that many who sell stand alone dacs and streamers. There might be two Naim dealers, a third if I travel out of state, but they probably offer the same products and new products aren’t so budget friendly. The same is true with other higher end products. I could go listen to dacs and buy what might be considered comparable used products. But I really do have an aversion to using a dealer to audition products I intend to purchase online. I just can’t do it.

My upgrade path will be incremental and will involve sorting out a few baseline considerations. But have to start somewhere.

Here’s an interesting journey:

(For anyone who reads this it’s only an example of an approach to digital not an endorsement of digital vs. vinyl)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.