Air quality and pressure in your room

Sorry, the second was a typo (I missed out the word changes), I also forgot to add the emoticon.

Missing things out is a trait of both dyslexia and ADHD, so I’m doubly damned! :scream:

In my case if something seems odd… then it’s usually humour (or just a mistake, or both!).
:crazy_face:

It has become a difficult thread humor-wise! Emojis much needed

1 Like

Of course, listening in a spacesuit with self and speakers floating in outer space, static relative to one another, would minimise room reflections and building-borne vibrations, and completely obviate any air pressure or humidity effects, for perfect silent listening…

Edit: Ok, here’s the emoji (Perhaps the OP should have included one in the thread title): :star_struck:

Are EM radiations the same as from phone and antennas radiatons ? If yes this room is non sense. I just know that some can’t live near antennas for phones .

In fact, you want one of those sealed boxes which seals you off from the rest of the universe, with only a nervous cat for company.

1 Like

It is all EM radiation, but the wave length and energy are different. So yeah, effects differ like they do for, say, infrared and x-rays. But if someone is really concerned they should do the science and not make wild claims

1 Like

Unfortunately many think that 5 minutes browsing wikipedia is equivalent to 5 years in university :laughing:

1 Like

I wonder who are these many…certainly not me .
I have no scientific knowledge, so my posts were only for fun.

I wish wiki had been around in 1985. I could have saved 4 years drinking at Yorkshire’s finest university!

:joy: :joy: :joy:

So how can whales communicate over such long distances?

I should have said it is a change in the pressure in the medium, but we were talking about air. In fact, speed of sound as well as distance it travels is bigger in denser mediums.

“At a constant temperature , the gas pressure has no effect on the speed of sound, since the density will increase, and since pressure and density (also proportional to pressure) have equal but opposite effects on the speed of sound, and the two contributions cancel out exactly.”

…don’t forget: Wikipedia is not a source of definitive information.
For me, sound is the perception that arises in the brain as a result of tanasduction by the tympanic membranes of pressure waves/vibration of the environmental medium.
Without the brain, there is no sound, but there are pressure waves in/vibration of the environmental medium.

But in this case Wicki is correct.
Sound perception is a wholly different thing, Even if as I posit, the sound waves don’t change, the human perception is likely to change as the body reacts to the change in barometric pressure. As I said previously, that is an entirely different thing.

I disagree. If your auditory cortex were removed, you would not percieve any sound, but you would feel pressure waves using other sensory modalities.

Especially the Scots version :rofl:
But hey, it’s good enough in most cases if you have a bit of common sense ans check sources when important. Your definition is (b) in the Wiki quote

If a tree falls in the forest when there’s no-one there to hear it, does it make a sound?

That’s almost philosophy (or quantum physics) :smiley:

Does the universe exist if I close my eyes (or if no one’s there to make a measurement) ?

The universe does not exist, everything is in your imagination. This message included :exploding_head:

1 Like