Air Rifle purchase, anyone any experience?

Hi @CBR600

I hope this thread does not become a town Vs country thing…

Like you, I have through my life had a fundamental hatred of unnecessary killing of animals.
I am currently a member of the RSPB, WWT, BTO and two wildlife trusts. I also donate to other conservation groups and also the World Land Trust. Reluctantly I see no way of preserving our native Red Squirrels other than by the complete removal of Grey’s from the UK. I have no doubt I may annoy some on the forum who hunt, by stating I oppose any killing of animals for no good reason. For me if a fox is deemed a pest then show some humanity and cull them humanely rather than make a “sport “of it. The same applies to Deer numbers in areas where due to man taking out the top predators huge environmental damage is done due to an unnatural numbers increase.

As stated in my previous post it is illegal to trap and release a Grey Squirrel in the UK as the Grey’s are set in legislation as vermin. Therefore, I see my only option is to kill the Grey’s or see the Red’s die out.

I will leave aside the strong argument over the huge cost of damage caused by Grey’s. For me this is a moral question. Do I stand aside and watch the destruction of the Red’s due to what we have done, or do I attempt to do something about it as do many others in the North of the UK who still have Red Squirrel populations. It would be great if I could avoid killing but reluctantly, I see no choice.

There is no natural management available, and the Grey is a deliberate introduction not a new population due to migration etc. I want to put right the ecological damage we have done in the UK.
I don’t relish having to own a firearm having seen first-hand what they can do but I will get one and use it.

2 Likes

Yes - I have had grey squirrels in part of my roof, and no longer have some of my lights in the room below.

True - we have too many humans. There are, though, better ways of dealing with that problem than shooting them.

Crikey. My father was a gunner on minesweepers in the RN and taught us how to shoot matches at 20 yards with an ancient Diana .177 rifle while standing - no ‘scope needed.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tp re chairgun.

Chifchaf, currently I live in the country, and in my youth been a townie.

As I get older I tend to lean towards the worldly approach and away for the destructive actions of humans.

They are, when young

CRR600
Ditto
City boy, then to Town, then to country… But I feel I have no choice.

Excellent, they used to go with a real bang match heads, I used toshoot flies off the wall of our old house with an air rifle when I was about 12, in a similar way, it really sharpened up your aim!

1 Like

Another thought is to the security of anything you buy, to prevent theft and use by others for illegal actions.
I know you are talking air rifles. I live in Ireland and gun legislation dictates licenced ownership of ALL weapons, even basic air rifles

1 Like

Yep. You can waste hours on that app. And, once zero’d you can turn yourself into a marksman!

Faraday Mill. I shot there once and not long after they closed down.

1 Like

Ah yes, thought it was over that side, shame it closed, had a few good shoots there.

It was Bogey Nights, the RN hospital and the old Courage brewery at Stonehouse

Thanks CBR600…. good call, though despite my never owning a firearm I am thoroughly versed in the UK firearm Law covering England and Wales. It will in any event be held securely.

:+1:

Why would you say that? It’s just a sport these days.
The controls in Canada and the UK are pretty tight, which is a good thing, of course.
I’m not a hunter, btw, just a target shooter.

Hate to say this Tobyjug, Re Grey’s, if you are in the UK…

The law states “It is also illegal to treat them for injury or illness, or to keep them in captivity without a licence”

Just saying as I assume your not aware.
Rgds.

Bogey’s is still going but at Mt Wise not Stonehouse. Not a patch on what it was. The brewery has long gone and the RNH is now mostly business units.

1 Like

I’ve not had a good experience with Crossman - bent barrel.
You can get replacements but it was a hassle. I use an old BSA.

@ChifChaf As to Greys, a while back I was a Wildlife Trust Trustee. We spent considerable amount of time discussing how to manage Greys, limit the reputational damage, and how to introduce Pine Martins. There are humane traps, a type of guillotine, which are reliable if bated properly; these are successful if used during the Grey’s breeding season. The problem with any type of culling is that there are so many Greys that removing them provides an opportunity for others to move in. It is also worth destroying dreys, but it’s time consuming.

At least give them a fighting chance.

Strangely satisfying to watch the little squirrels flying off.