Album of the year - 2019

Loved Designer and Western Stars, but voting (if I understand this right…) for

Ese and The Vooduu People ‘Up In Smoke’

For the simple reason that this album, and this band reinvigorated my year and my love of new music. Just a wonderful uplift, for me!

4 Likes

Then take the top one given that they’re in order.

As for the word “whinge”. Perhaps the issue was the accusation of making nothing but negative contributions and including that word immediately after I’d posted a huge number of recommendations. Who knows eh!

You need to put on a post and hope it gets 7 or more likes as per my many requests. It’s the same for all. And it closes today NYE Sydney time, think I’d like to bring this thread to it’s intended end.

I can’t really vote for Ese’s album so I’ll go for Fly Or Die II: Bird Dogs of Paradise by Jaimie Branch.

2 Likes

Freak Mammal by Psychic Lemon

My favourite album of the year which is very heavy on the psych rock front, as is the band.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Poll - Album of the Year 2019

That’s superb,

Just looked them up and they cite Hawkwind and Amin Duul Ii as big influences, which is wonderful. Although from Cambridge, they describe themselves as the New Wave of Kraut Rock. They had me thinking Ozrics go heavy.

Still need to work out how to get FLACs of their albums. Seems the vinyl is sold out.

Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

@TiberioMagadino, you can download the FLAC here at bandcamp. https://psychiclemon.bandcamp.com/album/freak-mammal

2 Likes

@Richard.Dane could you please edit the poll so you can’t see the results (till after it closes) Think I stuff it up when I set it up. I’ll blame a hangover and fat fingers. Thank you.

Pete, all I could do is remove the post so you can give the poll another go.

No, think I’ll just leave it as it is. Thanks anyway.

OK, re-instated for you.

1 Like

I certainly don’t see the need for a music critic to be able to play an instrument, or to sing. Any more than a wine taster needs to be able to grow grapes and make wine from them. Nor do I see why someone cannot criticise a piece of furniture if they have never wielded hammer, chisel, plane and saw in their life.
Of course, you need to choose your critic - it’s no good listening to a critic who only likes jazz if you can’t stand it yourself (except, just occasionally, you may come across some jazz which you do like. I am not fond of most jazz, particularly the freeform sort - but Circle Songs Six by Bobby McFerrin I like very much, and some others of his too, and Take Five I like, and a few others).
And I grew up with John Peel, Bob Harris (do they count as critics? possibly not, but they performed a similar role, I would say), without whom I would have missed a huge amount of music.

1 Like

Thank You

Nicely put. The more critics you read the more you learn about them and the more you can benefit. I’ve a greater appreciation of a huge range of music well outside my comfort zone that I’d have simply not tried nor heard of had it not been for reading critics.

The irony of people not liking critics but simultaneously using Roon amuses me no end.

Poll will close on the 7th.

Unfortunately I believe the majority of members will miss the poll since it is buried in the middle of a thread. It might be better served if the poll is moved to be a new thread with the voting at the very top.

Good thinking @seakayaker never thought of that. Thanks.

@Richard.Dane is it possible to put the poll of separate thread. Cheers.

1 Like

Moved to a separate thread for you.

Thank you.