Album of the year - 2019

Norman Granz: The Founder. Nothing new but a great compilation of many classic tracks by the best jazz musicians. And at around £20, a bargain as well.

2 Likes

Delbert McClinton and Self-Made Men + Dana - Tall, Dark & Handsome
I have already nominated The B.B. King Blues Band but after hearing this album earlier today , I am going to nominate this as my second album of the year.

2 Likes

Another fine release this year, The National I Am Easy to Find.

3 Likes

Here is the Mojo magazine Top 10 for 2019

1. Lee Scratch Perry - Rainford
    9 Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
    8 Black Midi - Schlagenheim
    7 Lana Del Ray - NFR
    6 Fontaines DC - Dogrel
    5 Aldous Harding - Designer
    4 The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce…
    3 Bruce Springsteen - Werstern Stars
    2 Bill Callahan - Shepherd in a sheepskin vest
    1 Nick Cave - Ghosteen

Hi Chris, sadly my stylus is playing up and I think needs replacing. Before it started misbehaving I played the new remix album all the way through. The only track I managed a back to back comparison on was Space Oddity.
The remix is different I’m not very good at describing differences but it’s a bit clearer and less muddy.
Maybe less warm as well. It seemed to sound very good on the acoustic numbers such as Letter to Hermione which benefitted most I thought. I’m not sure I preferred Space Oddity remix version. To me the original was better. How much of that is familiarity I’m not sure.
I dare not risk playing records anymore until I get my stylus replaced. It’s worth buying the remix as it is different but whether you are going to prefer it who knows.
Prem.

1 Like

I bought the Curved Air first album Air Conditioned, which was the first album released in picture coloured vinyl. The sound was atrocious so I returned it for a normal copy. Big mistake because at one time it was selling for around £100. Nevertheless a great album.

1 Like

Hi Prem

Thanks for the update, I’ll get a copy I think, sorry to hear about your stylus, hope you get it sorted, it must be the season as my LP12 which uses a Hercules Mose power supply won’t spin and the light on the switch doesn’t illuminate!

It’ll rotate if I give it a hefty push…but somethings is wrong. I lifted the LP12 the other day and moved it 150mm or so to get at a switch on the wall and that’s when the trouble started…may have dislodged something. The Joys of HIFI!

Thanks again.

Chris

I can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned yet!

Damon Locks - Black Monument Ensemble

A wholly great listen

1 Like

Tubby Hayes - Grits, Beans and Greens

OK, it might not have been recorded this year (in fact it was 1969), but it had been lost and was only released this year. It is my favourite of the albums I’ve bought this year. Superb musc making and sound.

3 Likes

That took a long while to hatch. :grin:

Whatever happened to bands and artists with a strong message and something to say, especially in these times.
Thank god for Steel Pulse!

https://steelpulse.com/#home-1-section

:grin:

1 Like

Hot Chip - A Bath Full of Ecstasy
Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka
Leonard Cohen - Thanks for the Dance

All strong contenders for me.

Dave

3 Likes

More enjoyment from these…

Sofie Birch - Planetes

Caterina Barbieri - Ecstatic Computation

Steve Jansen - Tender Extinction (2016)

Teeth Of The Sea - WRAITH

2 Likes

Though there maybe some interest in this, surprisingly a crowd fav isn’t even on it.

3 Likes

Well - perhaps it’s a reflection of my age and changing music tastes over the years, but I only have 3 of these albums in my music library: Mavis Staples, Michael Kiwanuka and the Teskey Brothers.

Now I really do love and play the Mavis Staples and Teskey Brothers albums (a lot!), but they are throw backs - hardly reflective of today’s music.

Still, I will go through the 50 (courtesy of Tidal) and see if there are any more gems in there for me. I don’t hold out a lot of hope, but you never know.

1 Like

A quick review of the listing had a large number of artists I had not heard of which surprised me in the sense that there have been 27,772 posts in the ‘What are you listening to and Why might anyone be interested?’ which is my favorite thread. Thanks for the posting I may have to cull a few out that I have not heard and give them a spin.

So much music and so little time…

2 Likes

Interesting, but only eight or nine of those would be in my top 50. FWIW, my top five – not in any order – are The Twilight Sad, FKA Twigs, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Michael Kiwanuka, and Anderson .Paak.

That list (unsuprisingly) majors on Antipodean artists.

It’s not surprising it leans toward the Antipodean as it was taken from an Australian news site. There’s many (lots in fact) that I’d never heard of either.

Ever read Retromania by Simon Reynolds? Throwbacks are absolutely reflective of today’s music.