Albums bought for one track

I’ve bought lots of albums for just one track. Playing now Finding Forrester film soundtrack including Somewhere Over The Rainbow / What a Wonderful World by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole. Amongst others Alicia Keys for Empire State of Mind. Cat Power Jukebox for New York New York. A 70s compilation for Spanish Wine by Chris White, to name a few.
How about the Naim community?

Ha!!! Happened may times. Best result was when Amazon used to give you recommendations based on purchases - heard one track by a San Francisco band called Dredg, I now own all their albums on CD and 4 out of 5 on vinyl…
Worst that springs to mind was a song called Inside by Stiltskin from a 90s Levi’s ad - stunning track but let’s just say that the album has been gathering dust in my rack for 20 odd years now…

1 Like

Yael Naim’s self titled album for the song “New Soul”
Vanessa Carlton’s “Be Not Nobody” for the song “A Thousand Miles”

2 Likes

I have far too many to list, but some of the more obvious are as follows;

Barry McGuim Eve of Destruction
Black Wonderful Life
Doug Ashdown Winter in America (Aus)
Gilbert O’Sullivan Alone Again (Naturally)
The Foundations Build Me Up Buttercup (although I do enjoy the rest of the album)

And I only got F, there’s still plenty left in my library.

1 Like

MacArthur Park from Donna summer live and more

1 Like

I bought the single of Donna Summer McArthur Park because I really liked the Richard Harris version but never had a copy, until recent years.

1 Like

Black, Wonderful Life, blimey that brings me back. Sadly it dident turn out so wonderful for him unfortunately

6 Likes

Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 20.40.16

Toto 1V Africa

For so many reasons - but mainly because I love Africa

3 Likes

Africa is such a wonderful track, had I got to T’s it would’ve certainly been included in my list.

2 Likes

Not quite the same idea, but there are some albums I only bought for one track before finding I liked several of the others too:

Hooters, One Way Home (for Satellite)
Peter Gabriel, So (for Sledgehammer)
Howlin’ Wolf, London Sessions (for Smokestack Lightning)
Leftfield, Leftism (for Melt)
Billy Joel, Streetlife Serenader (for Root Beer Rag)

Mark

Stevie Ray Vaughan and THAT one track?

Rosie Vela album for the Becker/Fagen track which totally escapes me at the moment.

Hang on, ‘So’ has got Big Time on it? Have you ever cranked that up? Tony Levins baseline is monstrous.

1 Like

Actually, according to the sleeve notes, it’s Larry Klein rather than Tony Levin (who plays on most of the other tracks), but yes, I do get a lot out of the other tracks too.

Mind you, I might be one of the minority who knew Excellent Birds from Laurie Anderson’s Mister Heartbreak for many years before I heard This is the Picture on So.

Mark

3 Likes

Tubular Bells

2 Likes

Excellent. The whole album is one track.

How about Rainbow in Curved Air by Terry Riley, two tracks.
I also bought Laurie Anderson Big Science for O Superman.

2 Likes

Which album have you? I thought Alone Again (Naturally) was a single. So guessing it’s a compilation such as the Berry Vest, but that has lots of great tracks, at least I think so. He’s still making great albums such as the song below which tries to answer one of life’s greatest questions.

Just checked. I only have the single, which one of the kids downloaded for me years ago (probably a pirate). But years ago I didn’t d have it on an LP but can’t remember if it was an album or hits thingy.

1 Like

It’s a great single even if it’s a very sad song

Yes it’s a bit of a losers song, I don’t play it much.