Aliens visit you. You can play ONE vinyl for them. Which would it be?

1 Like

I think tonight I shall play this one - on vinyl, of course!

4 Likes

And I might play…

1 Like

A 7inch.

The other side.

3 Likes

1 Like

Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, which was available on vinyl, possibly it was the original BBC radio version(?)

Kind Of Blue

1 Like

I have the HHGTTG vinyl albums and they are not the same as the original BBC Series. The story line is different especially the way they leave the restaurant at the end of the universe, the records follow the book story with Zaphod stealing the Disaster Area stunt ship.

Perhaps not to play “It’s only the end of the world again” to friends from beyond Betelgeuse.

The CD box set is the radio series.

However perhaps Across the Universe may be more appropriate.

One thought would be Grip by the Stranglers, which has the verse

Now I find from week to week the sentence sticking fast
Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole
Just strap on your guitar and we’ll play some rock 'n roll

Animals

Arvo Pärt - Spiegel im Spiegel

I don’t know why exactly - I just think they would get it.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s available on vinyl or not, but the music starts at 0:51s.

1 Like

to scary them, i would put

Stairway to Heaven. A few minutes of Led Zeppelin would make them leave immediately. They would realise we are a lost cause.

Best

David

3 Likes

“Warning: You may or may not hear something interesting on this record”

“If it’s a success it must be Magic!”

On the run out groove the catalogue number has ABRA stamped but then has MUG hand scratched, but scratched out not quite well enough to make it illegible followed by 1, suggesting that the catalogue number for this was originally intended to be MUG 1.

This has grooves pressed on both sides (eight tracks on the A side and nine on the B side), which look convincingly like proper tracks, however, the record is silent on both sides.

In reality this is an anonymous release from Stiff records.

It’s a shame that the Beatles weren’t included on the disc.

Indeed @Richard.Dane - although Carl Sagan and co. did ask Apple Corps, they characteristically refused. The Fabs’ loss was Chuck Berry’s gain.

There is an excellent 3-LP (gold vinyl) set on Ozma Records, commemorating the 40th anniversary of the launch of the Voyagers. The deluxe version was issued to Kickstarter subscribers only and is now quite pricey. But it is a thing of absolute beauty:

1 Like

Another vote @MrUnderhill) for the Carpenters - Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft. Very diplomatic lyrics assuming that they must be far more advanced than us to have travelled from another solar system.

Phil

3 Likes

This’ll get rid of 'em. From TG’s Second Annual Report:

4 Likes

I have been agonising and eventually decided on this

Decca

1 Like

This would do, Space Ritual by Hawkwind, and if they’re still awake halfway through side 1 plop Silver Machine on.

Or REM - It’s the end of the world as we know it. And I feel fine.

I reckon if the conversation got as far as a convoluted requirement to play just one example of our entertainment I’d be asking them where the hidden cameras were.

2 Likes