Allae plith attachment

Hello New Forum!

I just purchased a pair of Naim Allaes as an upgrade to my Credos. However the plinth and crossbar were detached during shipping.

There is a half round rubber washer. Can someone confirm that it should go between the alloy plinth and the crossbar ?

the alternative position would be that the crossbar sits on the rubber washer when vertical.

Google is not much help as i cant find a pic of the underneth.

Cheers

Cam

I’ll try to have a feel under the bottom of my Allaes this evening! Hopefully someone else will be able to answer your question in the meantime.

I suggest you also drop Naim support an email - they’ll be able to say.

Thanks @GavinB

If you can feel something rubber under the rear crossbar, it means Im good, if you don’t feel any rubber, it must be between the crossbar and the plinth in which case I’ll need to pull them apart and redo.

Thanks Cam.

Sorry, but I can’t feel anything rubber there.

:small_blue_diamond: WETA,…Contact Naim and your dealer.

That the plinth is properly mounted is very,very important for the soundquality.

It should also be torque drawn with the correct Nm-value,this is also incredibly important for the soundquality…
You must also have the right tools to do this.

There are different Nm-values on the front and rear bolts in the plinth,…but this can Naim and your dealer help you with.

If you do not do this right,your Allae will never play 100% of their capacity.

It is incredibly ignorant of the seller to mount away the plinth,…it is not necessary to do,if they are transported in the original box.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

If the Allae base has been removed by previous owner that’s unfortunate. I have just purchased my second set of Allaes myself after returning to these great speakers as I owned a pair 2.5 years ago for 13 years.

Anyway my Allaes arrived with the base removed… so three self tapping screws hold the metal bar that spans the base. Nipped up the front bolts but did not over tighten, the back bolts that go near the metal bar, same again but not tight just so it holds in place. Metal bar should be loose and some movement.
After careful positiioning they slightly rock back to front.

Sound superb and better then I remember my previous pair, good luck but by now I reckon they have already been assembled.

I typed this up on my mobile, no glasses so if I have made a mistake tough :wink:

Thanks @HiFiman,
Did you happen to see a half round black rubber washer about 4cm in diameter ? And do you know where it goes? It sounds like your plinth was already assembled, just needing the 2 bolths at the front and the 3 self tappers. Mine were completely disassembled, so I need to reattach the plinth to the crossbar, but the location of this rubber washer is bugging me

Regards

Cam

Not sure about the 4cm rubber washers you mention when I received my Allaes the base had been completely dismantled.
Take one speaker it has 3x self tapper screws to hold the cross bar to the rear of base.
Then there’s two large bolts that go at the front with metal washers.
The back two bolts are smaller but also have washers but these are also metal.
I don’t have any rubber washers and I don’t recall rubber washers on my previous Allaes, plus 4cm that’s a fairly large rubber washer maybe Richard could clarify this as I cannot see where this would go on the base.

Also how many 4cm rubber washers do you have?

:small_blue_diamond:Weta,…I don’t understand,…have you not contacted Naim or your dealer as I wrote in my previous post.?
Had you done that right after I wrote it to you,so had your Allae been OK now.

They have all the information,and with which Nm you should pull the screws…Note,this is very important.

Now get in touch with Naim or your trader,…it’s better than to keep on speculating here.
I have not been home in two weeks,therefore I can not give you this information about the Nm-value.

I think from my memory that the front bolts should be pulled by 2,8Nm,…and the rear bolts with 0,8Nm.
But check with Naim because it’s not sure I remember correctly.

Below I repeat my previous post…:arrow_down_small::arrow_down_small::arrow_down_small:

Contact Naim and your dealer.

That the plinth is properly mounted is very,very important for the soundquality.

It (the plinth) should also be torque drawn with the correct Nm-value,this is also incredibly important for the soundquality…

You must also have the right tools to do this.

There are different Nm-values on the front and rear bolts in the plinth,…but this can Naim and your dealer help you with.
If you do not do this right,your Allae will never play 100% of their capacity.

It is incredibly ignorant of the seller to mount away the plinth,…it is not necessary to do,if they are transported in the original box.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Hi @Peder
No, I don’t want to go back to the dealer. i didn’t get original boxes, the lower cabinets were shipped in 2 muso boxes.
Yes, I have sent an email to Naim as soon as I read your reply (3 days ago) suggesting to do so, I got an automated reply saying I would get response within 10 days (which is fine), however if somebody replies to this thread, I’ll definitely try and tease out any info I can ! 2.8 NM is very helpful thank you - I’ll track down a bicycle torque wrench.

Hi @HiFiman
I have 2 rubber washers per speaker. I’ll post a pic tonight.

Hi, here is a pic of the underside

Strange looking rubber washers.

I have never seen anything that resemble these on the Allae’s are you sure they belong with the speakers.

Maybe Richard can slide this picture under the nose of an engineer at Naim.

I’ve just copped a feel under mine and couldn’t find any obvious rubber washers.

I had exactly the same thing when I bought my SL2s. The dealer thought it a good idea to remove the metal plinths for transporting :anguished:In the end Jason from Naim very kindly came to my house to set them up and, in the process, refitted the plinths correctly.

Hi @HiFiman,

The Naim dealer put all the plinth parts into 2 plastic bags before shipping including these rubber washers. So I’m unsure if they are original parts , it’s possible someone added them later and the dealer didn’t realise. I’d be keen to ensure they are standard, without any “mods”. I’ve opened a ticket with naim a while ago, hopefully I get a response soon.

Hi @NorfolkT,
I’m in Aussie, happy for Jason to make a house call :grinning:. My whole system is mid 90s and purchased in another country (before moving to Aussie, I don’t really have a relationship with any local dealers so I’ll let the ticket weave its way through the system, I did use a bicycle torque wrench to tighten the front bolts to 2.8 Nm and that made a difference, it was a lot tighter than I did them initially.

Hope I haven’t arrived at the party too late!

The leaf spring should have a dot on it, with the dot facing down attach the leaf spring to the plinth using 2x M5 x 10mm button socket cap screw & 2x flat washers. Torque to 3.6Nm.
Place the plinth over the cabinet & secure to the cabinet through the leaf spring using the posidrive screws to 0.8Nm.
Centre the plinth & secure with 2x M6 x 40 socket cap bolts & 2x M6 washer through the locating holes at the front of the plinth. Tighten to 3.6Nm.
Check that the plinth has a slight rattle by tapping the back of the leaf spring.

I have checked the bill of materials for the Allae & can see no reference to any grommets or rubber washers.

Hope this helps!

Neil.

Should we assume you are a staffer Neil?

Chris

Hi @NeilS,

Thats great Neil, much appreciated!
Strange the mods people come up with - I’ll pull apart in the weekend removing the rubber and rebuild.

I see no way to close the ticket myself, can you please close Ticket Number 38204 ?

1 Like