% Allocation in your system?

Adding my hifi up for insurance purposes and this is how my % allocation works out:

Source (1) 43.5%
Pre 43.8%
Power 8.5%
Spkr. 3.5%
Cable. 0.7%
Suppt. 0%

Sounds balanced enough though!

Yours?

G

3 Likes

Mine is

Source: 33.8%
Pre: 26.5%
Power: 18.5%
Speakers: 11.1%
Cables: 1.3%
Support 8.8%

1 Like

Sources 33%
Pre 16%
Power 20%
Speakers 17%
Stand/support 7%
Cables/block/switch 7%

Hifi should come under the category of general Household items, but not a bad idea to run the figures past them (your insurers). Always good to cover your ass, as the saying goes.

2 Likes

40% sources ( X2)
28% electronics
10% speakers
22% rack, isolation devices, powerblock, power cords, interconnects, Ethernet cables, audiophile switch.

1 Like

Are we doing new (or new equivalent model) price or like for like replacement cost?

Source 27%
Preamp 24%
Power amp 24%
Speakers 16%
Cables 8%
Rack 6%
All roughly

1 Like

New Stu

G

OK I’ve used an NDX2 price in place of my NDS, and current DR model prices for my non DR:-

Source (x1) 35%
Pre amp 33%
Power amp 23%
Speakers 4%
Cable, rack, router 5%

1 Like

There are several ways of calculating!

Mine calculated as new replacement cost is approx:
Source (store/renderer+DAC) = 22%
Amplification = 33%
Speakers = 39%
Active XO = 5%
Cables etc = 1%

What I paid, with much bought secondhand, but calculated at today’s monetary value, in total was less than half the current new value, with proportions quite different, approx as follows=
Source (store/renderer+DAC) = 47%
Amplification = 15%
Speakers = 29%
Active XO = 7%
Cables etc = 2%

If I had a total loss and the full new value to spend on a system I guess the proportions would be somewhere in the region of 25% source, 25% amp and 50% speakers.

1 Like

I notice people haven’t included media in this calculation. This is not meant as a dig, but more a reflection on how times have changed. When I started out the main source was vinyl so the cost of media was significant and important. Now you can have a top-end system and not own any media, just paying a monthly subscription.

As for my system breakdown, it is somewhat end loaded as I am going the process of upgrading back to a separates system and a rough guess, speakers 30% Amp 33% Sources 33%, racks/support/cables 4%

1 Like

Interesting…

Source (streamer/DAC/upscaler) 47%
Amp 13%
speakers 26%
Cables 8%
Accessories (power/vibration control). 6%

Might use this to justify to myself upgrading the amplifier…

1 Like

Are we talking list price new, or purchase price/previously-loved price?

I see this has been answered - pretty much. New at time of purchase, new now, new last time they were available?

I’m going with new now to give a benchmark. Interesting variations so far.

G

Sources 33%
Pre 25%
Power 8%
Speakers 15%
Cables 12%
Rack 7%

1 Like

Source 17
Pre 34
Amp 24
Speakers 23

1 Like

Some here have 10 thousands cds and 10 thousands lps, so with an average cost of 15 euros per item, it would be 300 k of media.

Will it change a lot the proportion ?
The problem may be with Lp12. If someone purchased one 30 years ago and made a lot of improvements, how calculate.
Perhaps better choose all prices new from today.

2 Likes

New now is what the OP did and suggested. The proportions can be different especially when things have not been bought at about the same time.

2 Likes

Not sure cds cost that much now. Charity shops here in Kent are doing them 5 for a ÂŁ. Bought just two cds today and was told I could have another 3 for my money. Had to turn down their generous offer!