Alternative speaker cables to NAC?

Are there alternative good quality speaker cables to Naim specific that can be made up with bananas? And could these be just 2-3m in length because the recommended 5m plus in order to meet the best impedance will be untidy for me.

Probably 100 different ones. Youā€™ll now get as many answers as there are non NACA5 users out there.

I use a non Naim cable. It works great. But donā€™t let that sway you (I wonā€™t even mention which one though it is in my profile). I think your dealer can tell you whether they stock good alternatives or not.

What amplifier ? I ask because the modern integrated amps are not so fussy about cables.
Its the total length inductance you are looking for (not impedance) & Iā€™m not aware of a cable that will give you a minimum of 3.5uH over 2 metres.
I suspect some of the TQ cable range might be a good choice if the construction form is a guide especially so those with the wide spacing between conductors. We canā€™t be sure however as TQ are famous for not publishing specs. Outside of that, I donā€™t think you will find 3.5uH over that length

DNM Resolution is also a very good electrical match for Naim amplifiers (and Morecroft does publish the specifications!).

Like Mike I donā€™t think you find the preferred inductance in a cable less than 3.5m in length. Extra cable can always be folded away zig-zag style.

2 Likes

Agreed the DNM ā€œResolutionā€ is a good alternative
Inductance 1.03uH/m
Capacitance 17pF/m
Resistance 0.013ohms/m
The L & C is very close to NACA5 specā€™s

Its also relatively cheap as its sold as a 4 core & the user has to separate off each 2 core pair. And at around Ā£25 per 4 core metre its Ā£12.50/m for the 2 core stereo pair.

When you say NAC, I presume you meant NAP?! What amp are you using?

Hi all, thanks for your responses. My amp is the nap150 with nac112. I am hoping to use kef ls50 speakers at 3.5m separation. I have a budget of <Ā£100 for the cable and ends. Any advice on brand and spec appreciated.

I think it was NAC(A), as in alternatives to NACA5.

Aaaah, yes!

1 Like

Chord odyssey is my choice.

1 Like

With Ā£100 I doubt you will find anything with the ā€˜idealā€™ inductance other than DNM Resolution, absolutely a good cable for Naim no matter what budget. plus the right inductance. You will find it at about Ā£25 per metre, & as its a 4 core it is designed to be split into 2 stereo pairs with its easily removable central web. So Ā£75 will by 3 metres & then when split into 2 stereo pairs you get 2 x 3m stereo pairs for Ā£75

I use DNM Resolution with a 272/555DR + 300DR, so yes itā€™s up to the mark quality wise as well.

How about the Belden 8477 ?

I heard it for a brief while in my setup and liked itā€¦

regards

1 Like

In that case you should make sure that the cable is a good match by checking the inductance and capacitance specs. Naimā€™s NACA5 at a minimum length of 3.5m is the standard recommendation. A good, much cheaper alternative is Linn K20, which has the same spec, and is essentially the same as Naimā€™s earlier NACA4. Do get some proper Naim plugs soldered onto the amp end, though.

1 Like

How about Witch Hat N2? Compatible with Naim. A 3.5m pair costs Ā£105.

1 Like

DNM Reason
Witch Hat N2
Linn K20
ā€¦ in that order.

In each case youā€™ll need a pait of 3.5m leads to work with a NAP150 (same for any olibe or chrome bumper Naim power amp).

Iā€™ve installed the Witch Hat N2s on a new SN2 just in order to address the inductance issue. Frankly, they seem to be perfectly adequate. I can probably criticize other elements in the chain but for now the speaker cables sound quite neutral.

Witch hat donā€™t know the inductance of their N2 speaker cable. As the wires are next to each other I assume it will be a lot less so would need longer runs?

Iā€™m using Witch Hat N2 cables 5m in length on a Nait XS2 to Spendor A7ā€™s. Works for me. However, Iā€™ve not used NACA5 before so Iā€™m not able to compare.

All great advice. Sounds like the DNM is the best match so will go for that. Finally please could someone advise which banana plug? I would prefer to solder them on but most appear to be screwed. Or doesnā€™t it matter? Thanks