Alternative speaker cables to NAC?

I prefer to use Deltron, in theory they have a better contact area with the full length pin to barrel contact area & the side pressure from the near full length spring - & it’s the same design as used in the Naim plugs.
I believe it important to match the pins with the same metals as used in the amp sockets & speaker binding post ends, therefore with Naim it’s always nickel for the amp ends & whatever it is on your speaker, if in doubt go for gold as it doesn’t tarnish.
It makes no difference if soldered or screwed providing it’s done correctly, my speaker end Deltron’s are screwed & then soldered. My amp ends are Naim plugs & can only be soldered.

I would go for Naim plugs at the amp end. For the speaker end, good old fashioned Deltrons are still a good choice. Only go for the gold plated version if the sockets on your speakers are also gold plated.

In addition to the above advice on matching contact metals, I would always solder the plugs (even it screw termination is possible with those plugs), I’ve compared the two methods and each time the solder connection has sounded superior.

With the DNM cable I find the simple lightweight beryllium copper ‘Z-plugs’ do work very well (mechanically and sonically). I wouldn’t recommend them for stiff heavy cables such as NAC A5, but for DNM Resolution they are a very good match. Note you can get them a lot cheaper than from DNM!

How about Ansuz Acoustics Pom speaker cable or HFC CT1 ?

Getting the Ansutz or HFC CT1 for £100 would be quite an achievement! :rofl:

I don’t have a clue, but when I think turntables, I think Linn. When I think speakers, I think Wilson and when I think Speaker wire we all think Chord!

I would love to pick up a pair of Chord’s Signiture XL Speaker Cable, just to see what it do!

It may not be the blow the door down Music, but it sure looks the part:

1 Like

I missed that part sorry .

DNM sounds really good.

Do we know the inductance - as in what’s the shortest length we can use?

What about using these wbt crimps for the cable before inserting into screw-locked bananas. They can be crimped really well and have a very snug fit, have you tried them?

My Naim dealer loves the Nordost cables for Naim, using Heimdall II on their 272/250 demo system. I’m using NACA5, but have wondered about using something else to get around the inflexibility. WitchHat Phantom comes to mind.

My son has a UnitiQute2b with Crimson Electronics speaker cables into a Blumenstein Audio speaker. The Crimson cables are not stiff and work well with the UQ2b and Blumensteins. Thanks to peter@venice audio for hooking us up with this inexpensive solution.

There are many compatible cables. My dealer stood by A5 forever. Then they found Atlas cables work better and chose Atlas Hyper 2.0 as their go-to cable for Naim. It happens to cost slightly less but performance and flexibility were the driving factors so I was told.

You don’t see a lot if Atlas on the forum but I believe Atlas actually test their cables with Naim.

No, I prefer in all cases with speaker & other cables to keep everything simple & soldered. That invariably ends up the most robust, minimal connection joints & a side benefit is less expensive

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.