Alternative UPnP server... suggestions to try

I want AlbumArtist and then Album. This is different to Artist then Album. Sorting by AlbumArtist means it’s easier to cope with albums containing multiple artists.

1 Like

Ah I misunderstood. You can create your own views and make these visible to dlna clients, these can be pretty much whatever you want as you can apply filters and different listing styles. The easiest way to begin is to right click and modify an existing view eg “artists” when you save it will prompt you to make a new view rather than replace the existing one.

Okay… I’ll have another go :wink:

So I played around for another hour… I still can’t get it to present a list of Album-Artist. Then you select the Album-Artist to show the albums of that album-Artist. Then you can select the album to play or tunnel down to the tracks.

I’ll experiment here.
Example Trolls OST has Zooey Deschanel as a track artist but she’s not in the list of album artist on the left hand side.

I cloned the view and edited to be “artist” instead of album artist, and now Zooey is on the left hand side, and Anna Kendrick and a Justin Timberlake etc.
If you applied that change to the main “artist” view - you can overwrite the default view - does that work?

Okay… here is my attempt to show

AlbumArtist/Album

I used an Expression… [Album Artist] - [Album]

But not what I want to see… I want to see, top level, all the Album Artists. Then select one and I want to only the Albums by that single Album Artist. The icing on the cake is to then select one of those albums and see the titles under that Album.

So if if I look at what this looks like on the player I would see, for example

But what I want to see is…

Steve. You’ve got [Album - Artist] - [Album] on the same level in the Expression field. Can you have [Album - Artist] only on the first level, then [Album] below it as a second level in a tree?
(I’m not a user of the software - just guessing.)

Yes that’s my feeling too, you need to set 2 levels with artist at the top, then album.
The software allows you to build using tags or combinations of tags so it’s pretty powerful in that respect.
I think you need to use “artist” rather than “album artist”; the first one would be at the track level.

Nesting doesn’t seem an option. In the DNLA setup you can next BUT it comes out with [Albums] under [Album Artist] but NOT under each Album Artist.

Honestly this is really weird software.

You’d think if you setup

[Album Artist]
[Album]

That it would show all the Album Artists and then, under each artist, the Albums for them. But no… it displays all the Album Artists and all the Albums at the same level as all the artists. :frowning:

Okay… as an example

So I set the dnla servers fields as…

So I’m taking that as show all Album Artists. Then you select an Album Artist and then see all their Albums… but no! This what it does…

That’s not right :frowning: The Albums should be nested under each Album Artist.

Try the v6 Tree settings I have listed here, as this has an Album Artist view, then a drill down to Albums by that Album Artist.
(Well it does in the Naim App and Asset on my RPi2)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bu8etep76nu4v5z/AACtTAlpNbXPbXFIT2uato_Ha?dl=0

Twonky

Audirvana

Linn Kazoo Server (free, opensource)

The issue isn’t that Asset doesn’t do the views correctly; it does. The problem is when the Bartok requests the play list the URLs for the files are sent in alphabetical order rather than track order. The reason given is the Bartok uses an uncommon command to request the playlist which Asset doesn’t support correctly.

I did think of Twonky. I used to use Twonky donkeys years ago but found a bug (which NAIM confirmed). So, at the suggestion of Phil Harris (NAIM) I changed to Asset and that was great for years. tbh I’m sure Twonky has improved… might give it a try.

Just found I still have my license key for Twonky that I purchased years ago AND it still works… AND after 10 mins I have Twonky working AND it correctly shows AlbumArtist with the albums correctly shown under each AlbumArtist. More testing needed but, so far, Twonky is looking good.

Might have spoken too soon… Twonky doesn’t have ‘RecentAlbums’ :frowning: More investigation…

Just stay with MinimServer as recommended by dCS. MinimServer 2 will support listing the most recent albums. If. like me, you have a tag that keeps track of date at which you have incorporated an album in your collection, you can already list your albums in descending order (more recent ones at the top) in MinimServer 1 by using that tag as the first argument of “Album.sortTags” in the “tagOptions” field of the MinimServer configuration mask. What specifically do you find hard and cryptic to configure in MinimServer?

Twonky doesn’t work… I mean you can’t sort by AlbumArtist AND it can’t show recent Albums…

Out of them all, at the moment, Minimserver is the closest. As you say… wait for version 2!

I use Twonky server on my MacBookPro. When you have a sistem worth a Good s/h car, I think you can invest $18 in the software that manages your files.

I paid the money for Twonky but paid or not it doesn’t do what I want :frowning: