Alternatives to melco or innuos

Perhaps because the CD reader is still powered even if it does not spin? I have not argued that it must generate noise, just that it can do so. As always, the details matter and taking care of the details (power supply, switching off unused components, etc.) takes time and money. If the drive is not there, it will not do an harm. And, I believe, a server is a good place to put a ripping station in much the same way as a streamer or a preamp is. It is fine that one can buy integrated devices but I would like to be able to buy separates when it comes to ripping and serving duties.

3 Likes

Hi nbpf, with respect, we’re discussing how you imagine these servers operate, rather than how they’re actually designed and implemented, which is exactly the point I made several posts ago.

3 Likes

One maker will have different views to another. Best to judge by what you hear rather than what a maker says. Innuos have some of the best independent reviews.

I take a very conservative approach to siting all my boxes because they do emit things. Even Naim boxes are very sensitive to each other.

Phil

I was surprised how good the Innuos is with classical music. The main weakness is covers occasionally. Genres not so good, but easy to fix particularly if you use assisted ripping where you confirm the metadata before the tracks are ripped. The best thing to do is to demo one and see for yourself…

Phil

2 Likes

You already have the option to use ram playback on InnOS for Roon using their Experimental ram player for squeezelite, some say it sounds better than the roon bridge but it comes with the sacrifice of stability and flexibility. I don’t argue tthat Innos make good kit as they certainly do I just want to use my software as the maker intended so I can use it fully, dedicated ram playback will not allow that.

I think you may find that the Innuos software does accommodate classical music; you’re able to add multiple tags and seemed pretty easy from what I saw.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks! If the InnuOS ripping system can index with a reasonable success rate Work (Composition), Ensemble, Choir, Era and Form beside the usual Conductor, Composer, Artist, Genre, etc. I certainly will revise my opinion! So far I have not seen any evidence of these capabilities but I am happy to be corrected. The other question would be how good the system is at tagging opera contents. This is one of the areas where most ripping systems are typically weak to the point of being unusable. Anyway, nice to see that InnuOS take classical music seriously, the same cannot be said for Naim, unfortunately.

I am discussing what I can see in the specifications, how software features are actually designed and implemented is something that goes beyond what is accessible to me as a potential customer.

It is perfectly possible that the InnuOS system is actually very good and supports classical music tags like Composition, Era, Form, Ensemble, Choir, etc. apart from the usual generic tags. It is also possible that it relies on opera specific databases and comes up with perfect tagging of opera works.

So far, however, I have not seen any evidence of this being the case. I am also not really interested in ripping CDs. Hence, I would like to see, beside intergrated server + ripping stations, InnuOS servers which are just servers.

We obviously have different priorities and concerns: you seem to be very interested in convenience. I am after data completeness and could not care less about convenience. You are fine with integrated ripping + serving solutions whereas I prefer separates. It is not that your (my) priorities are less or more legitimate than mines (yours), they are just different.

The InnuOS devices seem to match your priorities very well. Thus, just be happy! What I would like to see in a InnuOS server does not need to bother you in any way!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.