Am I Being Forced To Have A Smart Metre

You calls it what you like. I calls it an 'ole.

3 Likes

When I was a lad, there was no Naim equipment!!! We had to make do with other amps!!

2 Likes

:scream: :scream:

1 Like

My mate had one of those circa 1970.

I was consumed with envyā€¦

1 Like

Not true here at least. I was advised that it used a separate radio network. Hence it was impossible to assume connection even if you get a phone signal.

Bruce

It depends on your location how the DCC receives the data - Arqiva provide the network for Scotland and the north of England using long-range radio communications. TelefĆ³nicaā€™s network covers the rest of England and Wales using cellular radio communications (3G/4G) plus ā€œmeshā€ radio technology to supplement connectivity in a small number of hard to reach locations.

Is that your personal opinion or do you have data to support your claim?ā€

Just a factual standpoint from actually designing and delivering in this field.

1 Like

So just your opinion then.

Depends on your standpoint , got a few patents to rely on, which arenā€™t easily earned, but hey, the internet is full of opinions, Iā€™m lucky enough to have worked with some of those that made it possible, the internet that is.

You must be really important then.

No not really , just good at what I do and fortunate to work with talented people

1 Like

Hi @Innocent_Bystander

Do I have to accept a smart meter? - Which?.

1 Like

Seems to me that @Adam1 is simply pointing out that the thinking behind smart meters, on the part of the energy supplier, is to provide a saving for them, rather than some ā€œgreenā€ alternative.

Is the data storage and transference necessarily any greener than having some person come to do meter readings?

2 Likes

Cheers Dave, nailed it.

And if needed yes, I have to do the calcā€™s that show the drag on impact per packet of IOT device and then the lifetime cost when held in a data lake to then be shunted to a data warehouse to provide some sort of insight into turning on a kettle from someone in Peterborough, or maybe somewhere else ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve no idea, but they are very convenient. As to needing fewer meter readers thatā€™s another issue. Shipbuilders, miners; steelworkers, meter readers. All proper jobs down the pan, to be replaced with zero hours contact centre jobs and deliveroo riders. Itā€™s not really progress, apart from for the shareholders of course.

When did anyone ever see a meter reader turn up at the door?

Agree with your sentiment but the leccy board havenā€™t sent warm bodies out since curly wurleys were a foot long.

God I miss a proper Curley wurleyā€¦

1 Like

These things have to be done of course. Iā€™m just pleased Iā€™m retired and spend my time putting on live music. Musicians are so much nicer than smart meters.

Hell yeah!