Am I Being Forced To Have A Smart Metre

Yes, appreciate that, but I suspect the vast majority who work anti-social hours regularly are not that highly paid to begin with, assuming they even own a car let alone an e-vehicle.

If employers allowed free/cheap charging at the workplace during these periods that might work well, but it’s a question of how practical that is in reality.

1 Like

It’s a difficult issue to discuss so I won’t.

Phil

1 Like

Agreed.

Well, last week I finally got EON to come around and look at the Gas meter. It’s a SMETS2 one which was fitted by EDF, but never commissioned because of an issue at the DCC. So several months on, finally got EON to look at it. The SMET2 Electric meter was already reporting correctly.

Anyway, to cut a boring story short, the engineer said she had to replace both meters, because they were “3rd party”. I said that I thought the whole idea of SMET2 was that it was nationally supported by everyone. I was not convinced, but I was also managing my grand twins, so reluctantly agreed. All working when she left. The new HID didn’t have Internet forwarding of data (which I liked) but it does show a negative value when generating solar current diverting to the grid, which I really like. So I feel I have gained, but not happy about the two wasted meters

2 Likes

I doubt they go on the scrap heap. Someone will check them and fit new batteries to the gas meter and they will be used again. The two meters and IHD are paired together.

Phil

That’s good to hear. The new Gas meter was actually the same model, so seemed wasteful, but if they get reused, that’s great.

Oh, just remembered, new IHD has rechargeable batteries, and seems to reach further around the house :blush:

EonNext are sending me text messages saying I agreed to have a smart meter as part of my tariff :astonished:
They are just text messages though so I’ve ignored them, if they want a proper response they need to write to me and address me as Mr. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

I’ve missed several text notifications in recent years from various companies/suppliers because they get filtered to unknown senders in the messages app on iPhone and I don’t routinely check it.

It rather annoys me that so many companies/GP practice etc seem to have shifted to texting by default, especially if I’ve never requested or consented to such communications.

Many phones will preview texts when the screen is ‘locked’ too and in certain cases would I really want anyone to be able to see these texts if they were near my phone at the same time?

A certain credit card provider also annoys me by sending texts reminding of the payment date - even if I wanted these I don’t want them at 6am on a Sunday morning!

1 Like

That’s normally a setting. You can set it not to display the sender or the contents of the text unless the phone is unlocked. You can also set the phone not to announce incoming messages at all. If it’s an iPhone you can also define people you from whom you want to be notified of incoming messages - you may well be able to do that in Android too, but I don’t know.

I use Personal Focus to get peace at night!

Phil

1 Like

I find iOS far too complex and fiddly these days and they changing ways of thing things. I must look at Focus/Do Not Disturb though as more often than not I accidentally enable something.

My fault I suppose but every iteration seems to change/rearrange things in Settings to some extent.

Yes, it just needs configuring better on my part but as I mentioned to Phil I have always found iOS settings to be over-complex and fiddly.

I’m somewhat baffled currently why I stopped receiving a family group messages on an iPhone that used to show them. They appear on my iPad and Mac Mini but no longer appear on the phone - very odd.

Ha! Yes - the messages from one of my daughters don’t appear on my iPhone but do appear on mac and ipad.

I have do not disturb set on my phone from 10pm to 8am I think it is. But I also have a filtering app that sticks every unknown sender message into a junk style folder

Also - can no longer access a calendar linked to my email address which my wife can still access ….

1 Like

Usually the easiest way to resolve those sort of group messaging issues is to remove then immediately re-add the person in question to the group. Or alternatively remove the group message from your phone and then re-add it. It depends exactly what sort of messaging it is.

1 Like

It’s actually a group my daughter created and we can’t quite figure out what the issue is with iOS Messaging.

I know that with iCloud stuff you can specify which devices and AppleIDs can be used to contact/message you online, maybe somewhere I’ve inadvertently altered that but can’t recall doing so, it’s just quite odd that I was getting the group messages now I don’t.

1 Like

I suggest you set up a new group using Signal. That works on iPads and iPhones (WhatsApp doesn’t like iPads).

1 Like

My iPad and iPhone are linked using Focus so they both do the same think. There have been anomalies but they might have been resolved.

Phil

Not sure if this is the right comment to make, but one thing is in the depth of winter , you suddenly become aware of just how much it is costing you to stay warm and in the recent heatwave , with the dehumidifier on most of the time and the air con on for the most extreme conditions.

Thanks to the Smart Meter I am aware of how much it costs to either keep cool or keep warm in the harsher of weather conditions

1 Like

It’s worrying when you look at the costs of running A/C. There was an article in the paper yesterday and one reporter was saying it’s costing 50p/hour to cool her office. This is with a ‘proper’ A/C setup. I dread to think how much it’s costing to cool our office at work… probably 3 or 4 times that!

I remember when I was in New York a few years back looking at all those ugly A/C units hanging out hotel rooms and residential flats, and thinking that the amount of energy required to keep all those going must be massive. Perhaps UK will be like that soon.

Also when you think of what it costs a house to heat/cool, it make me cringe at the thought of heat management of all those office building, shopping centres and those big retail parks.

3 Likes