Amazon going Audiophile

It won’t be implemented. Read Simon’s post above.

I agree, highly unlikely unless Amazon become a dominant player in a few years for hi-res.

The problem however is that gapless via Chromecast is not supported (Qobuz), and Airplay does not offer hi-res.

And again, why not? They have Spotify and Tidal.

Anyways, I’m highly disappointed in the NON support Naim gives you after you have bought there products.

This is really not acceptable when you pay this much. The Naim Superuniti and the Naim Ovator S-600 speakers will be my last bought Naim products ever.

Words can not explain my dissatisfaction with their support. Totally worthless.

I suspect you may be in the minority on this forum. There are plenty of other products out there. It’s a big market. Life is too short to be dissatisfied. I hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck.

5 Likes

Odd, as I have found that a lot of old music sounds great, and some remasters have killed the music…

Mind you, I have also found some old music sounds poor, and some newer music sounds dull and lifeless!

But perhaps in generalising it depends what you mean by old? E.g. produced before about 2000? 1990? 1980? 1970? 1960? Or is it more more about music produced in a certain period, e.g. music produced in the 90s? 80s? 70s? 60s? 50s? And any particular style?

The Superuniti was introduced in 2011 and discontinued in 2017.

During its product history Naim added Spotify and Tidal and have continued to support these implementations after the product was discontinued as evidenced by the recent firmware update to accommodate changes from Tidal that were causing issues. I think that it is pretty good for a product that has been discontinued for 2 years. The unit also remains completely serviceable by Naim, even the models that are now 8 years old. This allows people to continue to enjoy their unit, using the features that were available when the item was purchased.

It seems rather unreasonable to be expecting a discontinued product, which is constrained by it’s (now old) architecture to support new services that emerge. Even if Naim wanted to do this the product in its current form wouldn’t be able to support this as there is insufficient processing power and memory available to add additional functionality. Would people be prepared to pay many hundreds of pounds for their units to have new boards fitted, I doubt may would and it would be costly given the R&D required to design one and the limited production runs to meet the small demand.

For people who want new (yet to be introduced) services then there are workarounds with devices that output SPDIF into the Superuniti’s DAC, or there is a clear upgrade path to the newer models that support more flexible implementations (Chromecast for example) that allow more services to be used.

3 Likes

1990 mainly dance/trance/pop.

Unless they price it as a loss leader
Put Tidal out of business then jack prices up
Which is normal in today’s vulture capitalism

the majority of my CD’s are from the 90’s and early 00’s, they mostly sound poor (relatively speaking) which I think was down to the production / mastering techniques of the time. Go back earlier to records that were not mastered for CD and they can be quite good, likewise most recent cd’s are pretty good

That explains it! Not being the slightest bit turned on by dance/trance/pop I wouldn’t know! But I suggest it might have been a symptom of the 90s, rather than anything else?

Was reading an article yesterday, quoting Amazon having 18M subscribers, Apple 56M, Tidal 1M, Spotify 96M (207M inc free) and Qobuz ???

NOTE: All paid only numbers

Only Qobuz/Tidal offer CD quality options.
Clearly Spotify is the lead, question is what % will pay for CD quality (Tidal + Qobuz = not much).

Now Amazon are expected to offer their standard music service for free or maybe bundle with Prime Membership it starts to become a no brainer.

The Amazon Hi Res i still feel is so niche there is not enough demand, but from a corner the market offer low to hi res, plus all the Prime benefits and the proposition becomes apealling.

Lastly i think Amazon are going to eat up the share in between single box audiophile (Muso & Uniti) and the budget Bose/Sonos.

The “loudness war” perhaps? Not mastering for CD as such, which after all is capable of better than vinyl, but mastering for maximum airplay to win in the war.

Agreed :sunglasses:

indeed, mastered for radio and cheap portable mp3 players of the time

We are talking about a firmware upgrade here. If the Superuniti can handle Tidal hifi it can also handle Amazon hifi.

The Superuniti was good then and it’s still good now. Why wouldn’t you do everything to make your customers happy?

Really? I’m not talking about my life which is pretty interesting if I might say. I’m only talking about Naim and their lack of firmware support. But I guess I’m indeed in the minority between people that say yes and amen to everything and don’t have an own opinion. Support should be longterm, that’s the only thing I said. Naim is lacking this support and instead they want you to move on to a newer product asap.

And Amazon steps it up a notch, even before launching the Hi Res service, which some think will come as part of the £15 a month subscription, versus £20 for Tidal and £25 for Qobuz.

No it can’t there isn’t enough memory for any more.

Get different firmware versions. Let customers decide if they want Tidal or Amazon next to Spotify for example. Easy solution. Very easy…

No it isn’t. Tidal’s integration was a two way agreement between Naim and Tidal.