Amazon Music HD

If I read it correctly, Airplay will support this, but not Chromecast. And for Android, check with your phone manaufacturer.

From the Amazon UK FAQs - " Which iOS devices support Amazon Music HD?

Most iPhones and iPads released since 2014 (devices running on iOS 11, or later) can support HD/Ultra HD (up to 24-bit, 48kHz) without any additional equipment. In order to play songs at higher sample rates (96 or 192 kHz), iPhone customers can connect an external DAC capable of supporting those higher sample rates.

Apple AirPlay supports HD quality playback.

Which Android devices support Amazon Music HD?

Most Android devices running Android Lollipop, released in 2014, or later support HD/Ultra HD playback. However, Android devices vary widely in quality and purpose, so we advise checking manufacturer specifications for HD/Ultra HD support.

At this time Amazon Music HD is not supported on Google Cast."

those with sonore bridge or something else can try and tell us. Like @simon.pepper, @Bluesfan, @Sloop_John_B

@Eoink

The issue with Airplay/Airplay 2 is that they don’t normally support better than CD quality streams unless something has changed (recent AppleTVs have also mucked around with the sampling rate pushing 44.1 kHz material to 48 kHz, though I’ve not checked recently if this has changed as the newer ones don’t have digital out except over HDMI). This would still be better than Apple Music’s 256 kbps lossy AAC.

Wonder why they’re not supporting Chromecast audio?

OK; my problem was that I was using the PC Amazon App which does not support casting. I was able to use the Andriod version of the Amazon App and I am able to cast to the Muso 2. However I am pretty sure that’s limited to Redbook CD Quality.

I guess no change as they say Airplay supports HD which is 16/44, they didn’t mention UltraHD.

Just saw the HD/UltraHD descriptors on the BBC article - this will really confuse the average punter as I think they will consider HD to be better than CD.

1 Like

Amazon seem to be assuming that most potential punters will be used to streaming online (not Tidal etc), so they can use 320k as the baseline and call it SD.

Yes, I agree. Just wonder if it might be challenged in some way. I actually wonder if they’d have been better calling the standard service ‘lossy compressed’!

On the now playing screen click on the hd or ultra HD icon. This will tell you details of whats playing and your devices capability click on learn more to bring up kB.

1 Like

It’s variable streaming rate that’s for sure. My works WiFi seems not up to the job or the app is airing on the cautionary side as it’s flipping between standard and hd throughout playback.

…with music by Fleetwood Mac, Kendrick Lamar, Taylor Swift, Stormzy and Ed Sheeran now available in Ultra HD.

Well that’s me convinced :open_mouth:

7 Likes

I’m casting on AirPlay from my iPad to my Apple TV and then into my 52. I’m not impressed by the sound quality.

At last bye, bye Qobuz … as 24

I do like the Amazon nomenclature same as normal folk recognize so more likely to buy into it. Standard, HD and Ultra HD.

I am up and running only on the mobile and the car via Android Auto, sounds allot more detailed, but shame they do not show the bit rate data.

Also iPeng no integration, not sure about Roon.

Well somehow managed to inadvertently sign up for the standard service I didn’t even want for £7.99 a month free for 30 days not 90 days

Just come off the phone to support who cancelled it but tell me I can’t have a completely free trial at all as I previously had one - yes for 10 minutes and I never streamed/downloaded a single track with ‘standard’ fidelity - computer ‘says no’.

I can’t even get the standard free trial of 30 days now for that now!

There is a convoluted solution whereby I’ll have to pay up front for the standard service, and they’ll refund me that each month for 3 months but I’ll get the HD add on for free! You have to laugh.

Beware of the sign-up pages as they did not offer a confirmatory dialogue when you select a plan, or maybe there was an inadvertent keystroke or mouse click, I really don’t know!

That’s saw you post, Daft Pink 24bit at 88Hz.
My Sony headphones all have Alexa built in so is pretty cool voice commanding.

Which model? If it’s any of the black ones with optical out they are likely resampling everything to 48 kHz.

You’ve really lost me now!

I think you’ve edited it.

Bet Naim wished the had gone Alexa, Amazon will clean up in terms of the masses, they also call out their high quality streamer hardware …

For me as mentioned it is all via my mobile at the moment.

Well, Amazon will if anyone can!

I just hope all high-end audio companies keep digital assistants off their systems!

It would not be impossible for Naim to add support for Amazon Music I suspect provided Amazon offer a suitable API for 3rd party devices, but would it be worth the development costs?

1 Like