Ambient music

Hi, been a big fan of ambient music for a long time. Love the way it can sit in the background, but also be very emotional if you really listen. Started with Stars Of The Lid and worked my way in from there. Tend toward more of the drone end, but artist worth trying are Celer, he’s hugely prolific but recent release Xiexie is a great intro. Others I enjoy are Anthene, again many releases but try Weightless, Loscil, try Equivalents, Secret Pyramid, Hôtel Neon and Poemme. More toward the modern classical end are the obvious Nils Frahm, Max Richter, Federico Albanese and as a curve ball the legendary Disintegration Loops series by William Basinski

3 Likes

Agnes Obel, composer, singer and pianist, not strictly Ambient but rather a fusion of Ambient-Soul, but sticking heavily since 2010 with her first album ‘Philharmonics’ (2010), later ‘Aventine’ (2013) and ‘Citizen of Glass’ (2016).

One of her best known themes, ‘Red Virgin Soil’…

But also ‘Riverside’, a wonder…

1 Like

purchased 2 hours ago… HMV MK… love citizen of glass.

2 Likes

I see you say “Not strictly ambient” I agree, I had mentioned RY-X and was not really sure of the genre here either. Any suggestions? seem to be chilled, or just not too heavy, very musical and relaxing. But I’m not sure of the correct genre. Be interested to know what others think…

1 Like

An album mostly made by using “music boxes” with some electronic manipulation.

This album has scientifically been proved to be the most relaxing ever !!

2 Likes

Maybe ambient pop, folktronica, indietronica, indie folk

1 Like

Really super Ambient slow wave tech.
Definitely has some sense of arrival achieved. Could be useful to finish an ambient session.

I would suggest that Ambient is more a state of mind rather than a genre.
If it makes your noodles more tasty, who’s bothered.

1 Like

This should give fantastic vagus nerve stimulation whilst being horizontal.

1 Like

Brilliant… listening to Pure now, another album you lose yourself in.

4 Likes

That lovely. Just ordered. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

That is lovely, added to favourites on Tidal… Thanks @Neilb1906
Just what I needed after reading a thread on Font sizes :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Track 5 is a nice tester for your systems…

1 Like

What an excellent album, thank you so much for pointing this one out!

1 Like

Future Sound of London. Lifeforms. 1993.

4 Likes

6 Likes

One of my favourite albums, I read somewhere that it was touted as been the ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ of the 90’s, not sure about that but it is good to be fair

1 Like

I was not that much into Ambient in general, but I think this album can be considered an Ambient Classic.

Little Brother.

5 Likes

I came across this, has anybody heard this album? Looks like it could be very interesting.

1 Like
2 Likes

We often listen to ambient music early on Sundays while we have breakfast. Arvo Pärt, Brian Eno, Vangelis and St Germain are often played on vinyl or the Tidal playlist. Unhurried soundtrack albums such as Paris, Texas by Ry Cooder, are popular with my wife, too.

The reference to Buddha Bar above brings back memories of a wonderful (and expensive) dinner many years ago. I had never heard of Buddha Bar until my wife and I literally found the Buddha Bar restaurant in Paris by chance while looking for somewhere to eat. It was only some time later that I found out about the Buddha Bar compilations. Since we have not listened to them for a long time, I think they will have to be on the playlist for next Sunday.

1 Like