AMG lookup

Hi all,

Probably old news, but what has happened to the album lookup when ripping CD’s on a Unitiserve.
Most of the time I have to edit and pick a cover from Google and on many occasion(ripping new compliations) the album/songs are ‘unknown’.
Is there another way?

Thanks,
Ray.

AMG no linger exists, so there is usually a delay while the Unitiserve searches for it, before it moves on to one of the other online searches it uses, which are still functioning. Naim were investigating a fix for this a while ago, which will hopefully result in a firmware update at some point.

Thanks. Does that mean if you buy a core, your still snookered or is it just unitiserve that’s affected. And why would Naim do that to US owners?

The Core uses different firmware, and is not affected by this.
Naim haven’t done anything as such: AMG was a third party service that folded, so the lookup no longer works.

Ok thanks. I think it’s been like this for months, I would have thought Naim would had resolved this by now.

What firmware version are you using?

1.7b ?

That’s the latest version, but perhaps @Stevesky might be kind enough to let us know if there is any chance of a further update being released?

Hi,

Late last year we did a 1.7c release, which is available to the dealer network which sorts out this issue + a handful of other stuff.

If you contact Naim technical support, they should be able to help you out on upgrading your unit to this version.

Best regards

Steve
Software Director

1 Like

Thanks Steve, I wasn’t sure if 1.7c had been officially released as the US web page still lists 1.7b, I think.
Still, that’s your solution, Ray.

ChrisSU,

Thanks for you input on this. I’ll give them a bell this week snd hopefully that’ll be fixed.

Best,
Ray.

Yes I also wasn’t aware that this had been released by Naim. Does that mean Steve @Stevesky that beta testers who know about 1.7c RC1 can tell other users to talk to their dealers about it? Maybe the website does need updating too?

Best

David

There is no mention of release 1.7c in the download section of the Naim website, it’s still showing 1.7b.
When will 1.7c be available for download?

I’ve been hankering 1.7c firmware for ages!
I’ll contact Naim support as the sticking on AMG lookup is a pain on my HDX.

2 Likes

That is correct. The AMG metadata lookup went unavailable about two years or so ago now. The Unitiserve also uses MusicBrainz and FreeDB but because AMG is the first service to be checked, that has to time out before the Unitiserve looks elsewhere. Also there were several bugs that cropped up when the AMG service was down permanently, eg the list of tasks to be checked later when AMG was back just got longer and longer. The UnitiCore uses Rovi instead of AMG.

All of this is sorted in 1.7c. I don’t know why Naim didn’t release it, but it works well so far as I could tell (although my Unitiserve is not switched on much these days as I use the UnitiCore instead).
Best

David

1 Like

Hi,

On some machines there can be a few complexities on installing version 1.7c, depending on existing software in the unit. As servers can be a large technical support overhead to rebuild when they go wrong, it was decided we would issue 1.7c on a per support case basis and hence we can ensure the support is in place if things go wrong.

We purposely invested in doing this software update to ensure existing customers were not left high and dry, but on such a data sensitive device, we need to be careful on managing and supporting such devices.

Best regards

Steve
Software Director

1 Like

Great news to hear that there is a firmware update that solves this problem. I posted about it sometime ago on the old forum and got nowhere.

Also just to clarify AMG (All Music Guide) still exists. It was owned by Rovi until 2016 when it was bought by BinkX/RhythmOne and renamed AllMusic. I seem to recall the license to use the metadata wasn’t renewed (or something similar) and the functionality was withdrawn.

Hi Steve,
So if I have a UnitiServe-SSD that is running 1.7b would my local dealer (Shore Hi-Fi in Auckland) be able to help or should I contact Naim technical support directly?

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,

Contact Naim support who will advice you on best way to apply this update.

Best

Steve

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the info Stevesky - I shall enquire with Naim about this update for my HDX :slight_smile:
Hopefully not an issue with whatever version and software is already installed on mine…