Amplifier casing heat

Probably not an exact science but is it possible to guage how hard an amp is working from the casing i.e. how hot it gets ? If I play a 60 minute heavy rock CD at nine o’ clock on the 250DR in to NEAT Petite 30’s at the end the 250 seems rather warm in fact very warm !

There are a few factors that will have an effect on how warm/hot your NAP250DR will get; the speaker cable, the speakers, how hard you drive said speakers, and the ambient temperature and how well ventilated is the casework (this is the heatsink).

3 Likes

I’m impressed you can even make it to 9-o’clock. You obviously have no neighbours

5 Likes

The Neats are 4-ohm and cited 87db efficiency which, in relative terms, is not an ‘easy to drive’ set-up. This will mean your 250 with a digital ‘line level’ source playing dynamic rock could be working hard at 9pm = heat.

The primary reason IME is likely to be the 4-ohm loading, which means current is being sucked from the amp. I think Naim amps prefer 8-ohm speakers.

2 Likes

I think Naim amps prefer 8-ohm speakers.

?
Which technical reference can you provide for that?

The key word is “think”, It’s an opinion.

Naim’s own speakers were between 4 and 8Ω but with no nasty phase angles.
Stereophile tested the NBLs with this result.

Which is very amp friendly but mostly 4-6Ω.

The Neat iota α looks like this

and there’s nothing too disastrous there either but not as, er, neat as the Naim’s.

There isn’t a plot for the petite unless another mag or Neat have published one.

1 Like

You might extend this, to say - most amplifiers will ‘prefer’ 8 ohm speakers…

It’s simple Electrical Engineering - a 4 ohm speaker (of the same efficiency) will make any amplifier work harder than an equivalent 8 ohm speaker.
Also, a less efficient speaker will make the amplifier work harder, than a more efficient speaker.

Less efficient often means a speaker with a complex arrangement - of drivers and/or crossover. BBC derived designs are some often found in this category. Isobarik’s are be another.

So, a high(er) efficiency 8 ohm speaker is the way to go…!!

Common Sense - or it should be, around here… :thinking:

2 Likes

The key is how amps deal with impedance swings/drops.

naim put great stress on the fact that 250/300/500 can drive 2 ohm loads for extended periods with no ill effects.

1 Like

No argument with this. Believe Naim used to (maybe still do…?) test their amps into a 2 ohm load…?

If you must have a complex and/or low efficiency speaker, then its probable that a Naim am,p will make a better job of it, than most. BUT - it will likely get hot(ter).

(Hence, why 135’s had fan’s. Maybe 300’s do, too…? Unsure about 500’s…?)

1 Like

250DR into 4 ohm Sonus Faber after extended listening at loud levels is definitely warm (but not hot).

The fact 300DR has a fan is definitely another reason I can propose to SWMBO to justify an upgrade :laughing:

1 Like

Can you go too far though? I’m not sure how a certain member got away with 105dB/W Grandinotes on a 552/500, let alone the Statements he replaced them with. Unless Grandinote’s 105 is on the optimistic side.

Towards high efficiency…? Guess so.

Grandinotes are an unknown to me, sorry.

Dangerous ground… :roll_eyes:

I’ve been quite disappointed that I can’t get my 250DR very warm. I’ve tried extended loud rock sessions (10:00 plus on the dial) and it hardly sweets. My Nova, on the other hand, if I drive it hard, it gets properly hot.

3 Likes

Perhapse @Mitch could enlighten you as they are his.

Perhaps not loud enough rock :question:

If you’d like a list of bands my wife describes as “not music”, “wall of noise” or “too screamy” to try and heat up your 250DR let me know :laughing:

Maybe we need a new thread on the Music section - “Albums to get your amplifier really hot”!

1 Like

Well at-least I don’t need a 300DR, the fan would never come on :sunglasses:

1 Like

I run 272, 250dr and Kef r3’s. The power amp barley warms up but the 272 gets pretty warm. This is a new one on me also.

Most likely its Digital circuits. Different question…

1 Like

Thanks, it doesn’t bother me, just seemed odd to me.