Amplifier casing heat

Me neither — and if I tried I think my neighbours would bang at our windows before I had a chance to succeed… The windows obviously because there was no chance that I would hear the door bell… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Re albums which work your system most (in terms of dynamic range and output = creating heat), it’s been very surprising to me over the years how some highly dynamic rock albums were relatively benign but other less-dynamic content could trigger things, perhaps because I was encouraged to play that ‘simpler’ music with more spirit (thankfully the house is detached – and yes, I’ve had visitors having to 'phone me from outside, as banging on the windows and ringing the door bell wasn’t adequate :grin: ).

If you’re not aware, look up Apogee Scintilla speakers and you’ll probably wince at the 1-ohm load they presented ! I know Naim had a mod for Quad’s electrostatics and may have had a mod for the Apogee’s too – probably the 4-ohm version.

You’re right about the modern-day 250DR et al, in that Naim amps would struggle with low-ohm speakers and/or where their impedance curves would drop away – ergo the introductory blurb about the 500 (pre DR) made play of the ability to sustain 2-ohm loads. c.2008 I visited a major dealer who had their 500 hooked up to some Usher speakers (4- ohms IIRC) and they had the fan on a lot of the time.

Per Yeti’s posted graphs above, what it says on the packet with many speakers about impedances, sometimes has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Ye olde mantra about ‘source first’ should IMV really be ‘source first, amp second’ – certainly not the 1970’s ‘speaker first’ approach :scream:

You still NEED a 300DR… by definition you NEED a 300DR!

1 Like

Everyone with a 250DR knows they “need” a 300DR it’s just a matter of time :laughing:

Seriously though the 250DR is so good that it might well be endgame (or better) for the vast majority of the population.

Some of us just have to go there though.

I’m really struggling to find any significant limitation with the 250 DR on my Totem Forest Signatures, and I’d never need the fan on the 300 anyway.

2 Likes

Do you know what modifications Naim made to the amps for use with Quad ESLs?

I assume some form of current limitation, to avoid destroying the panels.

I don’t have any modification for use with mine, but I assume that having a ‘stacked pair’ soaks up quite a bit of the power.

It will be clear from what I’ve written that I don’t understand the physics involved!

Your haven’t heard a 300DR with your speakers yet then? :wink: :laughing:

I recently heard a demo of the Harbeth C7ES-3 XD speakers with a NDX 2 > NAC 252 > NAP 300 DR. Unsure what the Power Supply was being used on the NDX 2. I will say that the music sounded fantastic. I then asked them to switch to the NAP 250 DR and did notice change in the presentation. Both systems sounded wonderful and if money was no object the 300 DR would be a wonderful amp to obtain. Unfortunately I could never justify the cash outlay to move to that level now that I am retired. If I was a young guy :wink: like @Mike_S I probably wouldn’t hesitate to make the leap…

No, I haven’t. I tried to arrange one with the seller of that second hand one, but he wasn’t keen.

Ha, yes, young is relative. I’m 56, but working part time now and I’ve had to increase that with the cost of living crisis, so the cost outlay would be a bit of a challenge family wise.

1 Like

My 250 hardly raises a sweat and I use most days at reasonable volume. I do however get the occasional hum but that’s never really been an issue.

1 Like

Hi @graham55

See a previous post by @Richard.Dane which hints at what the mod does/protects against. IIRC, it’s because the ESLs can ‘short’ if driven too hard, so the mod restricts current delivery?

Naim Nap 180 with Quad 57s - Hi-Fi Corner - Naim Audio - Community

Have never myself aspired to a 300DR brilliant though it may be. 250DR/282 is my limit so guess will have to make do with the rest of the population

1 Like

Perhapse @Mitch could enlighten you as they are his.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I’ve been off the Forum for a bit. Anyway, my current rig (Statements into Grandinote Mach 36’s (at 105db) is probably a bit of overkill. The loudest I have turned up the volume would be about 12:00 on the dial. That is at least concert level volume (and beautiful noise). The same was true when I had my old 500/552 rig. Prior to all that, when I was using my 250 to push Linn Isobariks, the amp would regularly shut down from overheating when playing at loud volumes.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.