Amplifier Over-Current Condition Detected

You have a point, David, but I can’t help thinking that very short lengths of biwired speaker cable are not ideal, and if it was my system, I would certainly look at changing it to a standard cable that fits with Naim’s recommendations. Also, one of those black cables in the photo has a tight kink in it that looks dodgy to me. When that Atom says “Amplifier over-current detected. Reduce volume and check loudspeaker connections,” it probably knows more than we do.

I agree with all the advice in the thread re the cable, but I just don’t think that it’s likely to be what is causing the sudden over-current warning after two years of working normally.

Best

David

I’m no expert, but possibly a contributing factor, I’d have thought.

1 Like

yup, that is really the point, I think. Why suddenly would it stop working? Naim seems to think it could be something that they need to fix. I am doing a few more experiments today, but if I cannot get it working, I will have to ship it back. Which sucks, but what can you do?
thanks.

I respect that the issue has only arisen now but it may be a result of how it has been wired-up all this time (unquestionably incorrectly per the manu’s specs and guidance), what you’ve played (tracks can have startlingly different reproduction traits in terms of peak signal and strain on the replay system/amp) and whether something in the replay chain has changed slightly - perhaps something inside the speakers or the amp itself has been pushed that little bit too far, which has changed operating conditions.

And volume isn’t the sole guide to peak signal. Some tracks seem to have material amounts of what you might call ‘hidden energy’ in them (and we’re not talking the likes of heavy metal music here).

I empathise with your plight and would strongly suggest you test out some of the changes mentioned above.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.