Amplifiers: T+A against Naim

Hello folks! Please, don’t consider me as a renegate :slight_smile: I just trying to find an upgrade path for my system which is nd5xs2,5si,3/5
What makes me think of upgrade - my 5si does a subtle hissing if I’m very close to the speakers. I’d like to have them dead silent if possible.
I’d appreciate if somebody shares the experience of using T+A amps and can compare them against SN3 or XS3. Say, I’d like to consider T+A PA2000 or PA1000 because they are easier to acquire and much cheaper at my dealer.
This time I have no chance on the audition, and I need some feedback about the sound signature of these T+A. I’ve searched a lot in the Internet but I finished with zero comparizon results.
Beside, I hate hegel, parasound because they sound dull to me. But what about T+A?

I’ve never heard any of the T+A gear, but what has appealed to me “on paper” is the DAC 200 & A 200 combination. I also like their mid-size form factor. Perhaps worth including in your list next to the integrated?

I’d tell that I’m pretty happy with my nd5 as a streamer/dac and I would not change it. A200 requires a preamp which is too much for me. Say, A200 itself costs more than I’m ready to spend on the upgrade.

Rega Elicit R maybe ? The sound is lively and powerful, match well with Naim.
I have never heard T + A . Some here went for Hegel. But other found it not enough involving.

1 Like

Good option! How this Rega, in terms of quality, is closer to 5si or XS3 ?

Same for me - hegel sounds not involving.

1 Like

Just a question - is the fact that there is a slight hiss when you are very close to the speaker, which presumably is the exception rather than the rule - sufficient to make you leave Naim and buy something you cannot hear first? Just because someone likes T&A means nothing. It’s what you like that counts. If you are looking to upgrade, the SN3 will bring much more to the system, and you have the benefits of system automation.

3 Likes

Between T+A R100E and Nova, I chose Naim. T+A was cold and boring, less so performance, aesthetically ugly

1 Like

Do not know your speakers. But in terms of German amplifiers, why don’t give ASR a try? T+A is for me just too engineering.

1 Like

More xs3 level. But better listen to it first.

1 Like

Here a quote from @Ryder, may help:
[
Feb '20]

« Although it will depend on system matching particularly the loudspeakers, your listening preferences will determine whether the Nait XS2 or Rega Elicit-R is a better amp. I’ve tried the predecessor of both amps in my system - Nait XS and Rega Elicit. Both amps sound rather similar but the Nait XS (as with other Naim amps) shows slightly better pace, rhythm and timing than the Rega amp. »

I’ve moved on to higher range Naim amps but if you ask me, I will always pick the Naim over Rega for one simple reason - I don’t really like how Rega amps (or any other non-Naim amps) sound. Also, the build quality of Naim is higher than Rega, if that’s important to you.

1 Like

You ought to get a home audition of the T&A

1 Like

Those guys are a Holy Sinad Sect. I don’t think sinad is relevant to what people hear.

Nice point! Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, it is barely possible at the moment. Once I heard t+a but since then there has been supply chain hell.

I’ve heard top end T+A gear and found it completely uninvolving, just my 2 pence. I’m a sheep ( not that I ever considered changing), but what HH suggests is spot on in my humble view. The Supernait 3 is a music machine plain and simple :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

And Audionet ?

2 Likes

Say, if it was sufficient, I’d start selling 5si a season ago. At the moment I’m just evaluating different options. As I said, I will keep my nd5xs2. So, nothing in common with leaving Naim.
However, this hissing makes me think that I can seriously upgrade the SQ. Unfortunately, I can not afford the SN3 at the moment.

I believe a slight hiss is very common with Naim amplification.
If the SN3 is out of budget, then I would highly recommend a pre-owned SN2. It’s an excellent integrated and not much of a step below the SN3. They can be had for a very attractive price these days.
Best of luck.

2 Likes

Sam s2 costs more than sn3 if I’m not mistaken

1 Like