An active life for me

I presume that the Usher speakers you had, use the same Load Cells, as the SCMM40A. I understand about the ATC’s looking lost on the Podiums. These look like a size 3 Podium? There is a lot a real estate going spare when using size 3. Hence, I went for size 2, which can be used width ways i.e. longest side of Podium, for front and rear of speaker.

Yes, I think they are size 3. The Ushers weighed in excess of 50 kg with their mandatory plinths, which actually overhang the Podiums front to back. The ATCs are 36kg by comparison.

As the room is only just over 10’ wide, I didn’t want to use the Podiums width-ways.

How big is your room ?

The specs on the ATC’S are somewhat conservative, according to what I have read, and the way ATC measures the diameter of the bass unit is “honest”, rather than for making good ad. copy.

Fortunately, I could not afford the SCM50ASLT, so was not tempted to try and convince myself that they would work in my smallish room.

I think the real “bargain” would be the 100ASLT, providing you have the funds, room, and they are to your taste. As I have neither of the first two, I will never know about the third :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Hi Pete, approximately 12x10’.

If the Usher’s weigh 50Kg, or more. Did the Load Cells in the Podiums get changed when you purchased the ATC’s? If not, you have the wrong Load Cells fitted. They should have been “D” for the Usher’s and “C” for the ATC’s. imho :blush:

2 Likes

No, I have just kept things as they are/were.

The ATC’s are slightly light, but I’m happy enough with things as stand, especially as I don’t actually use the system a great deal at the moment.

Yes, I do question why I have spent so much over the last two years…

Because, you can……….:blush:

I like the Tower series. Not exactly KEF Blade attractive, but the asl’s I find somewhat visually challenging, shall we say…

Not without a degree of guilt.

I pre-ordered the Rolling Stones mono box set, and felt quite queasy about it, even though I had not yet paid a penny.

For future reference, it might be worth investigating by demonstration, the difference in the different Load Cells. Quite sure, that Townshend Audio would change them for you, at a cost?

1 Like

Kef blades is what I’m praying for every night.

Room is 5m long and 3.8 to 4.5m wide (it narrows at one end)

Gary

6 Likes

The 50’s just put too much energy in the room……

10 Likes

Some great pictures and setups showing the ATCs on this thread.

In the next few years I’m tempted to go active myself I’ve had my eye on the ATC SCM20 ASLT according to the spec close wall placement not sure how true this is though.

The other problem for me going active is parting with my loved SL2s.

1 Like

Absolutely wonderful speakers - glad so many people are discovering their merits. I also think that they have a special affinity with Naim amps and I drive my passive 40’s with an olive 250 which is enough. I haven’t tried active 40’s so can’t comment other than to say that the passives are absolutely stunning!

I have some SCM50’s capable of active and passive operation here at the moment so expect a review published in the next couple of months… So far the actives beat my 250 but there’s a 300DR about to be plugged in so we’ll see… The 50’s are much more demanding in terms of room size though than the 40’s and really need plenty of space behind them to flourish whereas the 40’s are much easier to accomodate.

To be honest my initial impression is that either active or passively driven by Naim they are an outstanding combination and I could live very happily with either! They’re probably the very best loudspeakers (apart from DBL’s) I have ever heard on the end of a Naim system.

Jonathan

2 Likes

Something else you save by going for ATC 40 passive or actives and not further up the range. A bloody huge bill, curtesy of your local chiropractor! :blush:

2 Likes

Do keep us informed how you get on.

The price of the DSM3 is a bit steep for me, so I’ve opted for a used Klimax DSM2 plus Organik upgrade. Should be arriving in a couple of weeks.

Roger

1 Like

Very nice , I’m considering 50s at the moment . My room is a Victorian double reception 3.6 m wide and 2.75m high which now extends into the kitchen going back 14m which should help with Bass energy .

1 Like