Andriod on Windows 11

That’s really bad news for the consumer - not so much for the sales industry.

Microsoft is still looking at the system requirements for Windows 11. It will definitely run on Intel Coffee Lake machines (2017), and they are testing support for Kaby Lake (2016). It will also run on AMD Zen and Qualcomm (ARM) chipsets.

Compatibility mainly depends on whether all the required security and virtualization features are available. Windows 11 will likely use sandboxing a lot for security purposes, and if the chipset doesn’t support this natively (in hardware) then performance will be under par, since it would have to be emulated in software.

1 Like

Hi Tom

Yes thanks for letting us know that this is in the pipeline.

I think being able to use the Naim app in what is still the biggest OS (WINDOWS) is important and very useful.

I already run Windows 11 and wonder if you could share some more, about when the plans of adding the naim app to the Amazon appstore will be discussed or executed.

thanks

Is that what he said? I didn’t see any mention of Windows in his post at all….

The headline of this post is Android on Windows 11. So yes this is about that Windows 11 is now able to run android apps. The question here is if naim will use this to make their app available on Windows by getting the naim app up on the Amazon appstore (which is the only source for app download in windows 11).

I would have thought that when MicroSoft finally release Windows 11, they will have the Android app available on their own MicroSoft Store just as they do now with all Windows capable apps.

I think @Hasse78 is correct in that Windows will use the Amazon appstore for the distribution of official Android apps.

It will also be possible to install/use Android .apk files directly, but these might not be available for all apps and would not allow automatic upgrades to take place.

1 Like

Update:

Windows 11 rollout has now started and will incrementally be offered to users via Windows Update.

Geek (his words) in the office says he’s doing an install on his home PC tonight. I especially asked about the Android support.

1 Like

It seems mid-age PC’s won’t get Win-11
My Dell has an Intel i5 & that isn’t suitable, i7 or later is required.

Really? You have to have an i7 minimum spec?

It’s the generation of the processor that is key rather than the processor range, older generations of perfectly capable processors are not supported.

I’ve just installed Windows 11 on my 10th generation i7 and it’s working really well.

The Android feature isn’t available yet, that’s to follow.

1 Like

OK, I stand corrected, my i5-4210U is not approved.

1 Like

No android in initial release. Possibly in 6 months most likely a year before it shows

1 Like

Any Ryzen or any 8th gen or later Intel Core2 processors are OK, and maybe some 7th gen Intel Core2 processors.

Microsoft has placed information online for installing Windows 11 on older computers that are not supported by default.

• Microsoft recommends against installing Windows 11 on a device that does not meet the Windows 11 minimum system requirement. If you choose to install Windows 11 on a device that does not meet these requirements, and you acknowledge and understand the risks, you can create the following registry key values and bypass the check for TPM 2.0 (at least TPM 1.2 is required) and the CPU family and model.

More information:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e

1 Like

While it is possible to install Windows 11 on hardware that doesn’t meet the minimum requirements, you should be aware of what Microsoft means by acknowledging and understanding the risks of doing so. If you run the installer with the registry mods described above you will be greeted with the following dialog:

Now, not being entitled to receive security updates does not mean that Microsoft will not provide them (and it would be self-defeating if they did not do so). However, it might be wise to hold off from upgrading older hardware until Microsoft’s position is clearer. Even if Microsoft does provide security updates, there is no guarantee that it will provide annual feature updates to Windows 11 through Windows Update.

Also, this will only work on machines that have a TPM module that supports the 1.2 spec – if you have an old motherboard without a TPM module then this registry mod will not be sufficient to bypass the hardware checks. There are ways and means around this too (google “skip tpm check”).

@Xanthe Ryzen 1 CPUs are not on the supported list. In fact, the list of supported CPUs is somewhat arbitrary as there are no hard and fast rules. This excellent article on Ars Tecnica on the Windows 11 launch explains this in some detail and is worth a read:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/windows-11-the-ars-technica-review/

1 Like

Interesting, Ryzen 1 CPUs were on the list at one time! (I suspect this may actually reflect more of a motherboard issue than the CPU itself as even Ryzen 1 has a TMP 2.0 module)

However, many of the BIOSes for Ryzen 1 do no support UEFI secure boot or enabling of the TPM module in the CPU, and both of these are requirements.

My CPU is apparently too old. I wonder if older CPU’s will be added to the supported CPU list later.

The list isn’t cast in stone – Microsoft belatedly added some CPUs previously omitted that they used in some of their Surface devices :slight_smile: However, they appear to be broadly sticking to their guns on the CPU generations that will be supported.

1 Like