Another great institution is to close

Goddard’s has always been my favourite pie ‘n’ mash shop…

Growing up in South West London, a trip up to Soho was a regular event. My Father was half Italian and half Greek, and many essentials for Italian cookery were impossible to find in the suburbs.

First stop was always Angelucci’s for our coffee beans (long before Dire Straits sang about the place). At least the shop still exists, but they moved to Finchely a long time ago.

Directly opposite used to be Parmigiani e Figli, an Italian grocer and delicatessen, where we would stock up on pasta (literally the only pasta shape you could get in Twickenham was Lilly Brand spaghetti), decent tinned tomatoes and olive oil, and of course cheese. A Cafe Nero has stood in its place for many years. Why anybody would go to a Cafe Nero when Bar Italia is less than 100 yards away is a complete mystery to me.

Between Parmigiani and Ronnies used to be La Colombina D’Oro (The Little Golden Dove), where an ancient, tiny, lady always dressed in black cooked spectacular food. This was served by her son and long suffering daughter in law. She would sometimes join us at the table for coffee and she would regale my Dad with gossip about the other local traders. I suspect that we were honoured in this way as Daddy could actually understand her impenetrable Milanese dialect. The restaurant closed when she passed away in the 1980’s.

The final treat was a cake, and even more coffee at the Pasticceria Amalfi. It’s still there, but has been gentrified beyond recognition.

Back on topic, my go to Chinese restaurant used to be Chuen Cheng Ku. The food was dependable (if not spectacular), the Dim Sum being served from trollies at the table added a touch of theatre, the staff were uncharacteristically polite and helpful (compared to some of the other Chinatown restaurants), and the place had a quirky charm. It went downhill rapidly from the time that half of it was converted into a mediocre all you can eat buffet and most of the staff whom I had come to know left. I think it finally closed in about 2014.

4 Likes

Just noticed on FB they are opening a Greggs in Leicester square😬

Stuff Greggs - bring back Percy Ingle!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.