Another LP12 upgrade

I was never tempted down a fully naimed LP12 which would have included armageddon power supply, an ARO, Troika plus k-prefix powered by a Supercap. Also I have never heard one either. I’m sure it’s very good but would be a bit nervous in later years about hand cueing the ARO.
That said once I finished with the last upgrades in 2005 I was very happy with the way a maxed out Linn of the time sounded. Of course things have moved on alot since then. I think I got one of the last Ekos-2 before the Ekos-SE came out

Having by coincidence heard a serviced vs. un-serviced Linto just days ago (at my Linn dealer), I can assure you also Linn electronics benefit from a service.

Also for the tonearms, their cables and bearings do degrade over time. Heard a rewired and serviced black Ittok shine during that same coincidence, much better than I remember a LVII to perform.

3 Likes

I have 3 LP12’s IB

I live in 2 locations - in Sydney for work, and then south of Sydney on weekends and sometimes working remotely

So worthwhile - 2 of them get used a lot - the 3rd one will be sold off at some point shortly

One day when I retire then I guess perhaps I’ll maybe have to make a decision on just one , but no hurry

2 Likes

I was in Sheffield for a conference a few years ago and took the opportunity to get the Linn items serviced while I had several olive components serviced.

1 Like

I think Class A can service things Linn can’t these days!

3 Likes

Thanks for the comments. They make perfect sense. I will be sure to ask my dealer about these points next time we talk.

I don’t live in the UK and so I’m not sure about services via class A. Similar comment regarding audio origami.

Regards,
Mark

1 Like

The Ekos 2 is a very good tonearm Mt - I have that on my 3rd LP12, it’s quite impressive and easy to use

2 Likes

Ah that was too quick an assumption on my part! Yes, if you are based in the EU that would rule out Class A and Audio Origami, other regions I don’t know really.

That is definitely the right course of action. My Linn dealer has both the service offering and serviced classic components available as part of normal business.
As to tonearms, Ittok service has become problematic now (also at Audio Origami btw) but dealers could still send Ekos 1 & 2 to Linn UK for service if I understood correctly.

Happy to hear that. You might end up with a different, perhaps more pragmatic, path than originally thought then. First step a serviced Linto and Lingo2 package, combined with Karousel/subchassis? Might already transform your LP12 experience and you can always take it further from there again.

I’ve had my LP12 for 40 years and over that time it’s had 21 upgrades (I still have all the receipts but am frightened to add it all up😄)

Here are the Top 3 upgrades over that time that have delivered the biggest improvements in my system but, as always, YMMV….

1. Karousel bearing
  2. Lingo, then Radikal power supplies
  3. TA Karmen top plate.

Hope this helps you in your journey - happy listening.

4 Likes

Yes i am very pleased with it. It replaced an Ittok LVIII in 2005.

That is good to know. He is a Linn elite dealer so I would be surprised that this and many other suggestions are not covered. The arm was sent back years ago and tested anyhow.

Regards,
Mark

1 Like

Yes that can indeed be a bit scary but on the other hand possibly a cure for upgradeitis :rofl:

2 Likes

The old girl is all packed up and ready to go to Lyric HiFi in the morning, not Patti I hasten to add! Apart from a Trampoline II she is all original from around ‘74 (serial number 19131) and now I feel it’s time for some TLC.
I’m having a few second thoughts though, should I keep her original or perk her up a bit, I ask myself. I didn’t realise how emotionally attached you can get to them!

9 Likes

All comes good, when you realise that same best friend can do wonders with a few new parts and a renewed lease of life for another 40+ years :wink:

2 Likes

I think it would be a shame to modernise it in any way since you’ve also got such a classic system along with it. Perhaps just let them check and relube the bearing, a new suspension grommet and spring set plus drive belt then check the arm and cart are ok. I bet it would give little away to some much higher end LP12s for pure and simple musical enjoyment. Hopefully @Murmur will drop by soon and add his thoughts.

4 Likes

There aren’t that many red button decks around so nice to keep some that way.

I don’t know what you like so can’t really recommend anything. I like decks to be a point in time rather than pick 'n mix. I didnt get a good balance that way. Obviously not easy with cartridges but Adikt fits in well with my '92 spec deck. VM95EN sounds good with my original '89 spec deck. And rebuilt Troika is good in other 92 deck.

5 Likes

Thanks guys for your thoughts. It is a bit of a dilemma, i would like to keep it original but at the same time i like the idea of bringing back a bit of life, surely some working part must have tired some over years. The last service was this time last year, the cartridge is new, a DV 20X2L and even my Haddock 228 tone arm got some treatment - Ross at Lyric HiFi made a replacement grommet for it as there are no more spares! So all in all it’s playing as good as it can in this condition.
But I hanker for a little more while maintaining the LP12 sound so I am keeping the planned treatment modest. A Hercules power supply (so I can play 45s), a new motor and a used Cirkus that Micheal at Lyric has for me.
So in the end I think I am going to stick to my conviction and go for it,… I hope I am not going to regret it!

3 Likes

Also in an ideal world I would keep her original and buy another one that can be tweaked with, but alas I can’t justify that at the present time!!

2 Likes

Needs must and all that.

If the existing bearing is original it will have some wear by now even if all the correct precautions were observed any time the deck was moved etc. A good condition Cirkus bearing will always be better than a worn non - Cirkus bearing (irrespective of whatever ‘bearing camp’ you’re in) . You’ll get a cleaner and tighter sound and the bass will be easier to follow but perhaps a bit less ‘bouncy’ - for want of a better term. Anyway, report back when you get her home again :blush:

3 Likes

That’s what I did Martin

My second LP12 I purchased to add and upgrade it over the years

Over the years added Kore/ trampoline 2/ ARO tonearm ( that took a number of years for my trusty naim dealer to track down) and recently added the karousel

All good fun , it sounds wonderful

Cheers

6 Likes