Another upgrade question

Personally, I would rather leave the 72 as intended by the Gods…

2 Likes

There are folks who have built remote controls using an external motor. I still want to spend a Sunday afternoon to build a Lego device to turn the volume dial.

There are also turntables that come with a remote. Crazy hifi world. But I like the idea.

Expressimo Audio The A1 Series seems to be the very first turntable with REMOTE CONTROL VTA / SRA ARM POD. With the Remote control VTA / SRA armpod, with just a push of a button, from your chair, dial your VTA up or down .001thousands at a time, or holding the button down VTA can be dialed in for the perfect listening experience. Arm Pod also has a dial indicator so you will know where your at…

I started my Naim journey with a Nait 5Si and Nait CD5Si. It worked well and matches well.

I then went down the rabbit hole and got myself an 82, HiCap and 250 and an ND5XS. Then added an external DAC. The upgrades then just continued.

Yes the 72 HiCap 250 will be a considerable step up. But then you will probably need to improve your source.

Be careful as the temptation is to continue upgrades.

The XS2 route may be all you need.

There is always something better.

1 Like

And no headphone socket which I use a lot. I’ll look for a xs2 and keep the allo digione signature and replace the vdac with a Ndac.

I started this thread, because I had the idea to upgrade my streaming system and use Tidal instead of buying cd’s. But after a few weeks streaming and comparing (A/B) with cd I don’t know if the ease of streaming weighs up to (lack of) sound quality…

When A/B comparing a cd with the same version on Tidal I don’t hear any difference although my Vdac differs from the dac in the cd5si. But lots of versions on Tidal are masters and there is a huge difference with my cd-version and mostly not better. For instance “Remain in light” and “Stop making sense” from Talking Heads. I can’t listen to these via Tidal. And there are many others… (Night time - Killing joke, Scarecrow - John Mellencamp, Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow,…)

Now I’m in doubt; upgrading equipment and downgrading source (tidal) seems like a no-go for me.

Maybe upgrade the 5si to an xs2/3 and stay with the cd5si as a source.

1 Like

It’s more then likely that they are bad remasters compared to your CD masters. I’ve found that with some of the streamed stuff

I think you’re getting confused :wink:
I’m not familiar with your streaming source but from other comments here they are possibly not on a par with the CD5si.
Therefore you’re comparing streaming through a (potentially) inferior source to CD & stating that Streaming is worse?
I’d agree with @anon4489532 - try a better streamer first - or at least visit your Naim dealer & get a comparison.
The 72/HC/250 will be wonderful once serviced but as others have said it will benefit from a better source.
Just my 2p :grin:

The versions ((re)masters) on Tidal are in many cases completely different then my cd versions. Not always, because I own remastered recordings on cd too. So it must me Tidal and has nothing to do with the Digione Signature streamer I guess.

Personally I didn’t get on with Tidal & moved years ago to Qobuz. Some of the recordings are not as good as the FLAC files I have but only a few. The Hi Res stuff is very good.

2 Likes

I’ll give Qobuz a try. I don’t like Tidal.

1 Like

Upgrade of your dac would be my advise to something like the RME ADI 2 FS doesnt break the bank, well designed and excellent sounding dac thats not fussy about what input you choose and will work well with you Allo

Here’s what I’m using to good effect…

Naim 5italic
CAL Sigma tube DAC
Apple Airport Express
iPad 7th gen.

Generally using Tidal but also radio station apps like KNKX ( highly recommend)

Glass toslink cable (Lifetec)
RCA/DIN

The beauty of the Airport Express is that it allows multi room sound… nice to have the Muso join the party …

Haven’t spent a fortune, is rock-solid & delivers CD-quality.

As for CD files, I have them stuffed on an iPad2 as lossless & connect via the Apple 30-pin AV cable, usually unpowered so I have DC source.

YMMV

1 Like

& speakers are last of the UK-built Monitor Audio SE20 minitowers… 25th Anniversary in piano black.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.