Answer to a recurring question: a better streaming front-end for your ND5XS, NDX, NDS or NDac

I’d guess the majority of Audirvana users run their Mac or PC as a streamer feeding a separate DAC. The software does offer all sorts of esoteric options if you want them, and some likely do require decent processing power.

But running Audirvana in UPnP mode typically consumes only ~1% CPU of my 2017 Mac Mini, so presumably the latest chipset isn’t so critical in this instance?

Considering all the above, how would a naim nd5xs2 into nDac compare to a macmini with/without mutec into nDac?

FWIW A while ago and contemplated the same thing but when I added up all the costs it was about the same price as a ND5XS2. Much happier now I have the ND5XS2 into a nDAC and my streaming is simpler and sounds better.

4 Likes

What does the nDAC/ ND5XS2 sound like without the XPS?

Do you need the XPS to get the benefit from the ND5XS2?

Or, do you need the ND5XS2 to get the benefit from the XPS?

1 Like

(the white paper itself is excellent, but not I think available from the Naim website, worth a Google search for it)

nDAC/ND5xs2 without the XPS sounds fantastic. I ran like this for about 6 months before finding a pre-loved XPS-DR.

ND5XS2 can’t be upgraded to a XPS directly, you need the nDAC to get the benefits of the XPS Power supply.

The only “downside” to the nd5xs2/nDAC/XPSdr combo is box count IMHO. Yes adding a Power Supply is wonderful but it’s not needed if you don’t catch the upgrade bug which I succumbed to.

OP, Sorry for the thread drift

2 Likes

It’s still available as a download from the NDX web page.

Edit……this is for NDX, not NDS. You’re right, for the NDS white paper you’ll have to do a Google search. For the purpose of this discussion the NDX and NDS diagrams are more or less identical though.

2 Likes

I heard today Tidal is going to offer non MQA hi res files - this was a Reddit AMA with the CEO Jessie. Maybe the ND5 XS will be able to decode those hi res files?

I believe you are correct, Jessie stated that, “we (Tidal) will be introducing hi-res FLAC for our HiFi Plus subscribers soon. It’s lossless and an open standard. It’s a big file, but we’ll give you controls to dial this up and down based on what’s going on.”

How Naim will handle this remains to be seen. I would assume that 2nd gen users will have access to it, just like Qobuz. With a 1st gen streamer it’s likely that a 24 bit stream will be subject to dropouts. Naim would have to choose whether to limit Tidal streams to whatever they thought was going to be reliable (probably still just 16/44.1) or just leave the user to select the level that is reliable for them. I suspect the latter would cause a flood of complaints from people who wanted it to work, so I imagine they’ll limit what’s available.

3 Likes

I just found a review that may be of interest, also relayed to my question comparing naim streming to streaming through macmini + mutec.

Agree, however how to set up the comparison? A mutec will not be easy to try out for a weekend. ( a macmini containing audirvana is already available). Would you be aware of any dealers prepared to help out? I am in NL.

Great, that is very close by. I will see what can be achieved. Thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like

Bubbke UPnP server on a Synology NAS works well for me (especially with the latest update). Doesnt require any great IT skills to install either as can be done from the Synology user interface without any command line tinkering required. I use Kazoo as the control point.

What’s a control point?

Hi @easeback1

A couple of questions if I may re. your Mini Mac setup;

1. Do you connect the Mini Mac to your router via ethernet cable? And no other connections?
  2. Are you able to play internet radio via Audivarna ? Previously when I clicked on radio it would play for a few seconds. I’ve just updated the software and the internet radio menu seems to have disappeared. This is via my laptop connected over Wi-Fi.

Thanks

Hi Stu,

I have two Cisco 2960 switches on my network. Mac Mini & NDS connect via ethernet to the second (i.e PoE powered) 2960. Only other device connected is an Apple TV box.

Audirvana radio has never worked for me, so I switch over to the Naim app for radio channels.

1 Like

And the Mac Mini and NDS 2960 switch is connected to the PoE port on the other 2960 switch?

Is the second 2960 for additional isolation?

Sorry for all the questions!

Yes. With the 2 x 2960 setup, the first switch (mains powered) powers the second switch via PoE (i.e. an ethernet cable between the two dedicated PoE ports).

In theory, any devices connected to the second Cisco (standard ports) are then better isolated from mains-related noise.

Works well for me, to the extent that I’ve recently dispensed with my EtherRegen switch – which aims for the same results, albeit more expensively.

A forum search for ‘Cisco 2960 PoE’ should keep you busy for a few months…

1 Like

Hello, does Innuos Pulse connected to NDS match SQ and PRaT we know within the ecosystem? And does the connection mode (coaxial BNC or Ethernet) have an impact? Thanks in advance for your advice.

1 Like

I tried Audirvāna by curiosity and to my surprise I find it sound better than both Roon and native naim running Qobuz into my NDX2. Why I tried is I’ve had thoughts on moving from NDX2 555PSDR to NDS 555PSDR until the day I can afford ND555. But lots of hassle and not sure it’s worth it. Most claim NDS to be superior though and now I know solutions like Audirvāna can make a product like NDS support latest streaming platforms in a great way.