Any advice connecting NAC42>Hicap>NAP250

I’m probably missing something ridiculously silly here but, in the absence of a connection guide, I was hoping the collective wisdom of the forum could help me out with a challenge connecting up my new acquired chrome bumper system

I have a NAC42 with Hicap (serial number 34225, which I think is important) and a CB 250 but can’t seem to get it to work correctly

I think the Hicap socket 3 should produce the correct power supply to socket 5 on the NAC but when connected there are no lights on the 42 and no sound being produced

The hicap lights up and socket 5 on the 42 is 4 pin so I don’t believe e has been converted to 42.5 specification and so this set up should be correct…?

Does this image help? Culled from an old Naim connection guide. Confirms it should be socket 3 on the hicap.
Something wrong with the snaic?

42.5 is like this and clearly says use hicap socket 4.

1 Like

Can you post a pic of the back of the Hicap and the 42 ?

The critical thing is that there must be a DC output on socket 3, otherwise it won’t work. Some old Hicaps have had it removed. You may want to look inside and check.

1 Like

hope the pic is clear enough to view anything important, thanks

1 Like

Perfect - as Nigel says the 24v on Hicap socket 3 may be missing. An internal shot of the Hicap could be useful. I’m assuming you’re using a genuine Naim SNAIC4 to connect Hicap to 42 ? which DIN socket were you connecting to on the 42 ?

1 Like

Are you connecting the Snaic 4 to the 4 pin socket on the left looking from the back of the 42?
The one on the far right end is likely not connected to anything.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Yes, genuine SNAIC, but this is the internals of the hicap, if any of you guys can spot anything here I’d be grateful, I’m afraid its a little out of my area of expertise

The 24v rail is connected on that socket. See @NeilS post above - make sure you are connecting to the correct socket on the 42.

Was that just to cover the hole in the rear panel?

I believe so, some had a plastic hole blanker.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

The 42 is marked (left to right on the sockets) looking at the back of the preamp tuner, tape, output and then the fourth (at the far right) isn’t marked at all

Try connecting to the one marked output not the one at the far right (As Neil mentioned in his post)

Sorry guys, this may sound a bit dim but if I do that where does the connection the 250 go?

Hicap Socket 2 to the 250 (green)

Red is the SNAIC4

2 Likes

thanks, that’s awesome, and we have music!

fantastic, cheers guys, much appreciated

2 Likes

The second DIN 4 in the NAC42 would be used where an XO module was fitted.

2 Likes

There is always this, from way back:

Think this was later replaced with the Connections Guide…?

3 Likes