Any Aeropress users here?

I got an Aeropress a while back from a PR company at my work, tried it once but went back to my French press. It’s one of the single cup ones, but I make two strong cups in it for my wife and myself. It’s the closest I’ve come to making a good cup of “espresso-ish” coffee after my espresso machine died.
Perhaps I used the Aeropress incorrectly as the coffee was too watery, like from one of those American drip coffee makers.

Yes good coffee beans and grinder make all the difference…

Sounds like a grinder or grain size problem. Even if it just drip- fed through without pressure, it shouldn’t taste watery.

Did you follow the Aeropress instructions about using a single scoop of coffee and topping up the resulting brew with hot water? If so I think you need to experiment with your proportions of coffee to water in the Aeropress, and then top up to taste with however much water (and/or milk) you prefer. To my taste this is far more like an espresso than a French press could ever be.

2 Likes

I’ll have to give it another go! :coffee:

You need a finer grind with an aero press. If you use the same grind as your French press it may be too weak.

2 Likes

I have increased to 15g for my aeropress recipe. That is for light/medium roasted beans, filling the aeropress to the maximum with water.

I use 20gr of beans to 245gr of water. This takes the Aeropress up to the top. The grinder and grind size is the most important bit (if there is one).

This from James Hoffman in the NYT today

1 Like

Interesting idea. I will give it a try next time, but maybe with more coffee and less time.

I confirm the James Hoffman French press recipe above gives an excellent smooth taste
I used 35g and a total brew time of 8.5 minutes.

2 Likes

Obviously, the quality of the mug is of great importance:

I wonder whether there is an upgrade path for mugs?

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.