Any cause for concern buying into the legacy streamers?

Hi Simon,

The streamer technology may have moved on, but the used NDS is a bargain right now and most would say it sounds better than the NDX2. The ND555 is clearly better, but requires a five figure trade in. Also, the NDS has two burndy sockets so it can fully utilise the 555ps, unlike the NDX2.

My main concern withe the NDS was that it tied me to Tidal which could easily go out of business. Roon plus Sonore UPNP Bridge resolves that issue.

Keith

1 Like

Donā€™t disagree hence my comment on SPDIF inputā€¦ technically I would not want to overly rely on the legacy streamer front ends for Ethernet network (it makes no real difference on the peer host)ā€¦ they are too sensitive to other variables, as well as feed noise into the system.

1 Like

My personal opinion and with the proviso that I like to dabble, I think that streaming should be handled by a PC of some kind, ensuring that the user is in control of the software and not waiting for boutique suppliers to come out with updates.

2 Likes

one thing is sure with you Garyi: computer audio is not deadā€‹:rofl::star_struck:

A lot of people (myself included) flat refuse to put a PC/Mac in the living room. Thatā€™s just not how many people want to interact with their music.

I think too much has been made of the march of technology here. Yes the new platform is ahead of the old one. But letā€™s not forgot the key thing: The old streamer platform is nearly a decade old and their UPnP, Tidal, vTuner, and Spotify implementation still works! We talk about things moving so fast and to some degree that is true. But it hasnā€™t made the old ones obsolete and unable to connect to services after a decade. So you can very much buy a dedicated hi-fi streamer and know that while things will improve, your old NDX will still work just fine for a long time. For every person who says they would not buy a streamer because it moves so fast, I say show me a Naim streamer where existing services have suddenly just stopped working because the tech is old.

1 Like

Be that as it may, some new services donā€™t work with the legacy streamers. I have built my digital life around Roon and love what it brings to the table for me. It is a game changer for this old analog-loving curmudgeon. But the legacy streamers donā€™t support it so my NDX5-XS was a bit long in the tooth in that regard, and only works with Roon using some kind of a bridge (I was using my old Logitech Squeezebox Touch as a Roon bridge). For that reason I went with a NDX2, which also sounds so much better. I chose that over the ND5-XS2 for itā€™s upgradability.

On top of that the NDX2 has Airplay2 which makes it easy-peasy lemon-squeezy for my wife to play what she wants from her phone. Until I got the NDX2 she never, ever played the Naim system on her own. Now that she does, she feels like itā€™s hers too and as a result has been more open to upgrades (like adding a XPS-DR last month, and a Supercap DR just today) since she feels sheā€™s a part of it all.

2 Likes

As far as I am concerned, it is dead now. I am not going to have a computer in my living room, let alone all the USB A, USB, SPDIF, Optical wires spreading all over places, plus some conditioner, converters to keep the USB cables quiet.

1 Like

I have a small Intel NUC with my system, with just an ethernet connection to my NDX2. No other wires, no keyboard, no mouse nor a monitor either. Itā€™s very tidy and discreet.

1 Like

My fraim would not like small, strange object sitting on it anyway.

Thats the long and short of it.

For those commenting on not having pcs in their hifi, what do you think a naim streamer or server is?

2 Likes

I am using the Linn Klimax DSM with Katalyst, all I need is an ethernet cable from my switch to the streamer, and that is all.

Absolutely agree and a computer like a NUC or Mac mini looks every bit as aesthetically pleasing as a streamer. 2012 Mac mini still going strong and no shortage of software,

None of that is necessary,
Mac mini > USB cable > Blu2 DAVE Etude

I agree Linn Klimax DSM is a very nice looking computer (probably one of the best looking computers money can buy) and if you go Exakt then one box. Linn describes its DSM as System Hubs and its web site is full of details about the computer technology it uses, not least of which is its FPGA, which does lots of clever stuff like Space Optimisation.

Of course, Linn encourages the addition of extra devices by providing lots of sockets. I play video sources through my DSM though its primary feed is LP12 Urika II through an Exakt link.

One thing that I have banished from my Fraim are big heavy linear power supplies that buzz.

Well my streamer requires neither a monitor or keyboard for a start. You might be able to control your music from an iPad with a MacMini, but you still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse to administer the thing. I just donā€™t want that rubbish in my living room.

Plus, I know many are happy the Mac Mini as a transport but honestly, itā€™s signal clock is no where near a custom transport and neither is itā€™s RFI countermeasures. I mean, if you think the transport matters not, then I suppose it is fine.

1 Like

It seems you perhaps dont really have much knowledge on the pc side and the great news is we all have options available to us, its what makes the financial world turn!

Naim Core, Melcos and Innuos systems are a just computers with a bespoke embedded OS thatā€™s all ready been setup. Roon ROCK works in the same way and allows you to create your own self managed device it ceases being a computer in the traditional sense after initial setup. It took approx 3 mins to setup and that is the only time I will ever need to connect a mouse or keyboard or TV to it. It auto updates like any other modern appliance from their on in. You can manage it via a very simple web interface if needed but itā€™s rare. Mines 100% silent and looks pretty much like a hifi appliance due to its big heatsinks and matches the Atom rather nicely. My Atom pumps out more RF than it too.

My 21u rack of lab servers in my office that puts food on my table and pays the mortgage for the past 20 years says otherwise.

Iā€™m up to kneck in this stuff for 10 hours a day. I donā€™t want to so much look at a computer at the end of my day.

4 Likes

Thats fair enough, where as its not my job so I like to dabble as it were. That being said I had a NS02 for a number of years, it was not necessarily particularly well set up for streaming but certainly had the capability. It sounded the same as various PC set ups.

I have heard many a streamer and in my personal opinion the differences between them is marginal at most.

I do not think that the knowledge on the PC side has anything to do with the aesthetic appeal of what you decide to display in your living room. I have a postdoc in CS and I know what the computer (and a streamer) is, but in my opinion a HIFI device is also a piece of your furniture, it has to look right to be where it is.

1 Like

I bought a used NDX 6 months ago. Itā€™s a 2017 model and I paid an amazing low price that I could not refuse. Iā€™m very, very, happy with it. I am using the Naim app to stream music from my NAS and Tidal, as well Audirvana on a PC for Tidal MQA if I feel inclined. I also have BubbleUpnp set up on a Rpi for Tidal streaming too, if I wish. There are loads of options to keep these legacy machines going. The SQ is very good to my ears.