Any Modern Classical?

Absolutely - I’ve seen it in 3D too - it all builds up to a few minutes footage of some of albino crocodiles. Which I think made sense. But I’m not sure how.

1 Like

Modern with tunes? Try Samuel Barber’s wonderful Violin Concerto.

1 Like

I would also suggest Jenny Lin’s Glass recordings:

RoonShareImage-637647149729689340

RoonShareImage-637647149516500070

I had the pleasure of seeing her perform some of Glass’ Etudes (with Glass in the audience), paired with some of Bach’s preludes from the Well Tempered Clavier. Its not a combination that would immediately occur to me, but it worked wonderfully. Unfortunately, I didn’t retain the program and don’t recall which prelude was paired with which etude.

1 Like

As the OP of this thread I thank you all the the surprising number of replies to my original enquiry.

I particularly have to thank @anon4489532 for his Hilary Hahn recommendation which I have listened to & enjoyed. It fits my requirement for melodic pieces. I also enjoyed the Lechner/Marquez collaboration. Not so much the Arvo Part. Listened to the whole album you featured & have to say it sounded like me simply playing random notes from my guitar scales. The notes fitting with each other but saying nothing.

@PW42 I had never heard of George Lloyd & really enjoyed his 5th & 2nd symphonies & look forward to finding more of his work.

@crispyduck Same comment to you as for George Lloyd. Like what I have heard so far.

My original post mentioned my purchase of the 16 disc Warner Classics ‘British Line’ which does contain discs by Delius, Britten & Tavener which I had dismissed as bland/boring. Prompted by recommendations here I listened again at louder volume & whilst reading the sleeve notes. The higher volume revealed detail which I had not heard at low volume & made the music far more engaging, easily holding my attention. The sleeve notes explained the ‘thinking’ behind the pieces & further added to the engagement. I will definitely be listening again.

To all others that have made recommendations, rest assured, I have been making playlists of these recommendations & will get around to at least sampling them all during the coming months. The only problem I anticipate is not having sleeve notes to follow many pieces with & perhaps/probably not fully understanding the composers intentions with them.

@anon4489532 again, much as I have enjoyed my listening of everyone’s recommendations over the past week & a half I haven’t yet come across anything to topple Floyd/Eagles etc. from my essential, regular listening…Yet

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.