Any Peloton bike users?

This covid-induced laziness has to end. My bike got delivered a couple of days ago. I guess I better get on it . . .

1 Like

Cool. The new indoor bikes are getting much better, with many things to keep them more interesting. Iā€™ll be interested to see what you think.

Iā€™ve been riding outside, but weā€™re thinking of a ā€œconnectedā€ indoor bike for winter. In a normal winter, my commute is enough motivation to head out in the rain and ride each day; but with me working from home, thatā€™s now different. The upside of working from home is that I have flexibility in terms of when I ride. I usually go before work, but a check of the weather might have me do an afternoon ride. Having a decent year in terms of riding, which has surprised me a lot.

1 Like

I used to use spin studios about two or three times a week.

With the lock down approaching I managed to buy a second hand spin bike (a Technogym ā€˜Group Cycleā€™) and have been using the Les Mills RPM classes online (but these are recorded rather than live).

Iā€™ve not used Peleton, but my understanding is some of their classes are live and that you get a lot of the stats- max power, energy used, distance covered etc. plus (possibly) some form of competition in the peleton online class (that some spin studios offered).

My LesMills / SpinBike solution is certainly cheaper (bike was about Ā£300, subscription about Ā£30 a quarter) but I doubt itā€™s anywhere near as engaging as Peleton.

I did my first little rides - a short warmup and then a 20 minute fitness test to measure FTP. The FTP test was pre-recorded, and I suspect that whether a class is live or pre-recorded wonā€™t matter to me at all. No matter what itā€™s just me in my basement with my AirPods on looking at the screen.

Iā€™m really tired after that 30 minutes; Im also really out of shape, but hey thatā€™s the idea!

@StephenPacker the bike does show stats, and there are many options how to use them. I have no interest in competing with anyone other than myself; using stats to show my improvement will be interesting to me (I think).

I used to ride my road bike somewhat regularly, but where I live now itā€™s far too suburban. And my wife really doesnā€™t like it; she gets nervous even on country roads when cars pass. I donā€™t have time to do it without her these days, so the indoor spin bike will have to suffice for bike fitness.

@JosquinDesPrez is a madman on his bike; he puts in a lot of miles.

Unfortunately, I am way down on miles for the year. I am just under 2000 miles, which is about 1500 miles behind pace for my average over the years. Mostly, work has interfered with my weekday afternoon rides. I canā€™t wait to retire in a few years when I can ride every morning I want to.

Thatā€™s some awesome mileage youā€™re getting.

The biggest year I had was 2017 when I cycled 8500 miles and had 425,000 feet of elevation gain. Thatā€™s a combination of riding on road, single-speed, and gravel bikes. I have a mountain bike, but hardly ever use it.

If the FTP test is done right, you feel like you are going to die in the last five minutes. I have only ever done coached FTP tests at a cycling training center. I havenā€™t done one in years because itā€™s so painful. :wink:

I gave it quite a bit of effortā€¦will ride with this result for a few weeks and when it starts to feel easy Iā€™ll do the test again.

When I did my last one, my HR hit 180 bpm 15 minutes in and maxed at 186 bpm at 20 mins. My normal max HR is about 176-180.

Iā€™m an asthmatic and smoked for many years, so my FTP isnā€™t great. It was 198 at my last test, although I forgot to hydrate properly and take my inhaler before the test. Now I just donā€™t worry about it. Iā€™m more about just enjoying the ride, than pushing performance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.