Any pics -- Fraim inside of a "closet?"

L I know all about box counts. My own mid/hi level naim fills a double wide 4 high quadraspire set plus wall rack for tt and have to keep my very old but trustee tandberg tcd- 340 cassette ( it does hide the napsc for the 282). and a small table under the tt shelf holds a tandberg td 20 rtr. The biggest problem is finding enough outlets . There don’t seem to be too many 22 outlet power strips!The other problem is by the time we realise a 2 or 3 box count might work, their are 15 other boxes to dispose of first

1 Like

Thanks Dave. It’s interesting how opinions vary. I understand the school of thought that we hobbyists want to see the equipment while we listen to it. But once challenged . . . I see the advantage of not seeing it in the sitting room. @MMky told me years ago, “You might not want your living room looking like a hi fi shop.”

2 Likes

BMW and the RAF (when I spoke with them a long time ago) refer to this as ‘exercising the connectors’ which is part of planned preventative maintenance and applies to pretty well most moving or movable contacts.

Should have a nice open fire in it!

1 Like

If you want to lose the hifi shop look all you need is enough records to balance the stacks of kit, a thousand should do it but double that is better. Than it just looks like you take your music seriously.

Yeah that’s not happening either ha ha.

I don’t want a cluttered shop look with gear everywhere on the floor and cables being tripping hazard for everyone. For fairness, some of my local dealers have very nice audition rooms.

No, not for home, low WAF rating.

Yes, :heart_eyes:

@anon32455950 has a set up in a separate room, there is a video of it in the “show us your video” thread.

1 Like

I would be very careful about heat generated by this equipment in a closed closet. It all pretty much warns you to provide adequate ventilation. You could add a fan or something to the outside, but that is messy. Of course, you can always open the doors to the closet when listening, but then it would not be hidden.

I would think that with this quality system, you are going to want to have the option of a couple of Fraims for the SQ

A passive vent out the top of the closet plus air infiltration through closed doors gets me well on the way.

Can add a quiet fan in place of the passive vent if temperatures end up too high. Can easily monitor temp inside.

Sounds like a closet may have more hidden pitfalls. I’d try to find an architect that has handled high-end audio installations or some sort of audio consultant that may have a better idea of how to handle that room in advance of the actual build-out.

In my setup (post 12, above), there are gaps above the floor and behind the top panel, which allow adequate airflow along the back surfaces of the boxes. The Naim boxes run relatively cool, so I don’t consider it a big concern, though if I had e.g. Musical Fidelity Class A or valve amps, I would definitely consider adding fans.

Made use of a back wall to tuck all of my kit away and took the opportunity to run wires in the walls as well when we did our house build.

13 Likes

Yep definitely in a closet !!!

Nicely done!

Now, that’s clinical in a good sense. :slight_smile:

Hope there’s sufficient ventilation / you don’t have to keep doors open while playing music.

That’s great! I hope to be able to go a little deeper. It looks like you’re pretty close up against the rear wall? Did you assemble stuff and then slide the Fraims back the last 4 inches?

My dealer who’s overseen many high-end installations is totally comfortable with this.

It’s not too bad at the back. Unfortunately I didn’t allow for the width of the post on the right hand side for the door brackets although I’m sure could get fixed if it ever became an issue.

Re installation, I was out when the TomTom team came to sort out but I think they built in final position one shelf at a time.

And finally a pic that explains why I went for the “clean” cupboard approach…

11 Likes