Any recommendations for Headphones and amp for under £1500?

Sorry yes it is open back, although I find that sound leakage at sensible volumes is not really an issue. I have occasionally used them as the OP ie with my wife in the same room watching TV and she did not notice any distraction. I guess another reason to try first

Bruce

1 Like

Picked up some ex demo Focal Elegia and a Lehmann Black Cube amp on the bay. Pretty impressed with the headphones even just on the phone. Hopefully the amp arrives tomorrow. Came in around £500 under my initial budget, so happy with that too. Will probably need a longer cable though. Any recommendations?

2 Likes

Chord ShawCan

1 Like

Meze make some fabulous headphones, I have the 99 classics which are superb at the price but there are others at various prices. Well worth a listen

1 Like

'ello all! Finally joined the new forum! Such an improvement with lots of useful and interesting stuff. Great!

To come over these frustrating times I got myself a Denon AH-D5200. I wanted closed cans and these truely sound wonderful. Isolation is pretty good while being comfy. I feed them with a Lehmannaudio Rhinelander which is also a great little gem. But even from the PC with a no-frills soundcard (while doing home office, the order of the day) they are great.

Stay safe, stay well. Love and peace from Germany to all of you - wherever you are!

1 Like

Welcome from Germany @Paiste2002

Still waiting on my Lehmann Black Cube Linear to arrive so I properly try out my Focal Alegia. Trying to be patient and tell myself there are much more important things in the world currently.

Stay safe!

Thanks much!

I’m sure you’ll enjoy the Black Cube Linear. It’s a little out of my reach and I got the Rhinelander s/h for silly €100,- and it came as good as new. It’s so small and so beautiful and sounds great, just perfect for me.

1 Like

Yup me too. Added a real dose of quality to my 'phones. They’ll make any length to order.

Bruce

1 Like

HEADLINE 2 NOT DR + GRADO GS1000
The most musical option for you and a lot less than the budget.
A recommended power supply for an amplifier, such as HICAP2 not DR, or a direct connection to an existing supplier if available.

Don’t forget the excellent Stax electrostatic headphones, which come with their own energiser/amp. Not closed back, alas, so therefore may not suit you.

1 Like

Yes, always fancied a pair of those but as you say open back design isn’t what I need at the moment. I’ve managed to get hold of a pair of Focal Elegia and a Lehmann Black Cube amp. The headphones have arrived but not the amp yet.

Elegia is the best value closed back in the market, it will improve with time

Enjoy it

1 Like

I have a Graham Slee Solo…brilliant. Slee offers a home loan scheme for 14 days.no charge, just buy it or post it back after evaluation. Very nice company to deal with and great products. Visit the Slee forum, register, then request the item you want to evaluate. I also use a Slee Reflex Phono stage, again, lovely product.

As far as I know production of that cable has been discontinued

Hmm, they’re not on the Chord website so you may be correct. :confused:

So it appears, but a quick search showed stock with some retailers. Or at least shown as ‘available’. Best to ring first for sure.

Bruce

I have tried to order for my HD800S and it’s not possible anymore . Maybe Atlas cable would be the option?:thinking:

That’s a shame about the ShawCan. I thought it was an excellent upgrade and one of Chords more realistic VFM offerings. Kimber cables are worth a look, although you’re starting to pay more for the cable than the headphones themselves. I would stick with what you have, see if you get the headphone bug and then go from there.

1 Like

Yeah. Will just shuffle the sofa closer to the amps when using them for now. Still waiting on Royal Mail to deliver the Lehmann Black Cube posted last Tuesday evening.

1 Like

Lehmann Cube arrived today. All plugged in and working well. Thanks @james_n for the Focal Elegia suggestion and @RichardD for the Lehman Black Cube suggestion. Headphones are comfortable, sound very good fed by the Cube. They cut out background sound well while playing and don’t leak too much back into the room so meet the original requirement. I can now listen to the LP12 while Mrs M watches TV. Only gripe is the too short lead as I’m having to sit right next to the rack, making me look like some kind of obsessive/possessive hi-fi nut.

View from the listening seat.

4 Likes