Any sonic downsides in automating a NAC 552 with RC5 connection?

I had assumed that in selecting system automation to on rather than off, the SQ degradation was due to more demand on the rail voltage. I was told to turn off unused inputs on the new streamers by Naim for that reason?

Yes, I think I might have been suffering from a nasty bout of audiophilia nervosa.

Feeling better now, thanks chaps.

1 Like

Simon, when i googled the Belden 1505F mentionned above, it’s written 75 ohms. So i thought it was a characteristic of that cable.

I want my wife to be able to bring up the Roon app on her iPhone and play music, without having to worry if I was playing vinyl and have the 282 on the wrong input. I can accept a marginal performance impact in exchange for the marital bliss of system automation.

1 Like

FR I am sure it is, my point is I don’t believe you need to use a 75 ohm CI cable with the RC5 automation as the interface is unlikely to be designed that way… it’s a not particularly demanding interface.

2 Likes

It was a 252/NDX combination that I noticed a slight impact.

G

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=49577343659526709&coid=159503632588889

Found this in the archive.

G

Simon, My dealer provided a splitter to me as a gift, so I can control my NAC, DAC, and CD from the two outlets in my NDX. Works perfectly. Dealer approved.

I seem to recall somebody from Salisbury saying NEVER use such a splitter — but he may have been joking.

Nick

1 Like

Ahh interesting… not just me then…

Oh goodness, I use NDS/552 and I am having another attack of audiofilia nervosa.

I am resisting the temptation to Goggle ‘Shielded RC5 cables’, but I don’t know how much longer I can hold out.

Please help me from myself…

1 Like

Why not just unplug it - any difference ?

Yes - explore further
No - Go and do something more interesting.

Sorted it for you :grinning:

2 Likes

James, if I start unplugging stuff and convincing myself there is a difference, I am on the slippery slope…:anguished:

Not sure if I am going to sleep tonight.

2 Likes

Have another glass of Wine, put on a few more tracks.

The AN will soon pass…

3 Likes

Last time I checked, it wasn’t possible to access preamp controls with system automation via Roon. Obviously it’s a simple matter to go to the Naim app to access volume control and input selection, but I wonder if your wife will see it that way.

If she selects something to play in Roon, system automation will switch the input from phono to NDX2. That’s the important part. The Volume control on the preamp is intuitive, but two sets of “aux1” and “aux2” buttons are really not so much.

@Gazza
I thought that the latest recommendation regarding the new streamers was to leave all the inputs on for example in the HiFi Critic review .
Does Naim recommend the unused ones should be off?

Talking to Mike North atAudio show east last year, that was his recommendation…i really could not tell the difference to be honest. He said as soon as you activate they are then powered used or not, and have a drain on the rail voltage and affect SQ.

Surely the effect of a shield cable (which I use as it was the cheapest and default) would only be of benefit if you were constantly changing the volume whilst listening… otherwise there is no signal being carried…

Given the new streamers are re architected to be a lot lower noise and more efficient than the legacy streamers, I think you will find it makes no difference… certainly for me I can detect no difference. The only advantage of selecting or deselecting inputs is to simplify the display on the Naim app interface. I can’t remember when Naim were giving several of us an overview of the new architectures, there was any mention of ‘power down’ unused inputs… as I think most is managed in software anyway.
The only specific variant with the new streamers I am aware of is I believe the Wifi module which is powered off if not being used.

Not sure how you power off the WiFi module
My ND is hard wired/Ethernet