Any VW ID3 owners here?

Just had to check this, ours according to the digital owners handbook is 338 miles, I’ve had over 290 miles from one charge on a couple of occasions, and regularly hit the 250 mark between charges, agree its less during winter months, but never gone below 200 miles.

There was a known issue on the first release of the 77kw battery that it needed more heating during cold spells but that was resolved with a software update.

Agree with you about Tesla, especially their charging network, its leap years infront.

Has your wife got a preference vehicle in mind when she replaces the ID3?

Gary

1 Like

Seen some videos about id.2 due out 2025 which interests me and also Tesla 2 when it ever arrives. Battery technology is getting better by the day. Watch Electric Viking videos if interested. I think minimum of 5 miles/Kwh is needed but I’m sure batteries will become lighter, cheaper and more energy dense. As always China has the market. Catl is a huge battery supplier

1 Like

She’s actually wanting to return to an ICE car! :astonished:

Having had one whilst hers was off the road for several months she much preferred it.

1 Like

To be fair, I can understand that, there’s nothing worse than leasing /buying something and it keeps letting you down.

1 Like

Id not be looking at european EVs. Look at China or South Korea.

Which should eventually kill off the European car industry…

It will. The motor car is changing. Another 10? Years and they will drive themselves. Even Tesla is focusing on driverless cars. Why even buy or rent a car when you can book one for each journey. Assuming ghe price makes it worthwhile. Think Uber, but electric and without a driver.

I will confidently predict, as I confidently predicted that cameras on mobile phones would never take off -

that driverless cars will never take off.

.sjb

6 Likes

Most of Europe is not British and has a different view on things.

2 Likes

Hi John,
A few observations from someone in the auto industry who has owned both a VW MEB platform car (VW ID family, Cupra Born, Skoda Enyaq, Audi Q4 e-tron etc.) and a Tesla model Y.
First, it’s really important to know how you will use your car. If you tow a trailer, best to avoid any EV as 2/3 of the claimed range disappears when towing.
Second, most owners need off street parking with access to a wall box charger to own an EV. If not, best avoid an EV.
Third, usage. If you do a lot of long journeys (300km+), as we do, go for a Tesla and avoid everything else. It’s not the car, it’s the incomparably better fast charge network.
Fourth, beware depreciation. Residual values of EVs have cratered in the last 12 months. A 1 year old, 15,000km car may be 40-65% cheaper than its new equivalent. Consider leasing or buying used nearly new.
Fifth, the Haptic Touch screen controls and its software in VW MEB cars are roundly criticised, rightly in my view as a former owner. The electric drivetrain is also about 20-25% less efficient than leading rivals, especially when the temperature drops below about 7C. Look for a car equipped with a heat pump.

The ID.3 is okay if you want a Golf sized EV for short to mid range driving but it depreciates fast. The MG4 is a much better value alternative, while the Hyundai Kona and Kia Niro (these are siblings from the same group) are the class leaders. Then there’s the new Kia EV3 which looks to move the game on further when it hits the streets this year.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best regards, BF

6 Likes

Great post from Bluesfan, whose final sentence kinda sums up my view on BEVs. It feels to me that BEVs are at a relatively early stage of tech development and I look back on the PC market where processors, software etc developed at such a pace that today’s mega pc is tomorrow’s recycle bin and with that comes savage depreciation - no-one wants yesterday’s tech. Cameras are maybe even more comparable. Back in the day of 35mm, the tech change was more often than not improvements in film technology. With the advent of digital cameras, the new model made the previous model totally redundant, from a marketing perspective and you could not give them away. (With cameras it is the sensor and processing tech, not battery tech which developed at pace).

I think you need to be either very brave or wealthy to purchase a BEV. Some form of leasing would be the only option for me until the technology plateau’s and I don’t see that happening any time soon.

I am particularly risk averse!

Peter

Can we not get into the debate of EV vs IC yet again? It is well worn on here.

I assume .sjb is aware of the arguments.

Bruce

2 Likes

Thanks BF for your time taken on such an informative post.

I tick most of your boxes, don’t have anything to tow, have space in garden for EV charging and don’t have any routine 300km plus journeys outside of holidays.

I am test driving an MG4 and BYD Otto this coming Monday and in 2 weeks will have a Kia EV6 for 48 hours. ( this is a current offer they have to let people see more how they can live with an EV but I would probably be looking at an e-Niro if going KIA.

I’m not adverse to a 1-2 year old EV either.

I could easily wait a year or two there’s no imperative at the moment. However my 2013 Golf seems to have decent value currently and EV sales have reduced by 25% here in Ireland so that has me thinking now may be a good time for me to stop burning petrol.

.sjb

1 Like

The problem for car companies is their CO2 glidepath. How many petrol, diesel, high performance cars can they sell……to do so means full hybrid, plug in hybrid or full battery to offset.
It could be a buyers market for electric in the future, swoop in, or not over-the next year or so

You have evidently thought the matter through well.
The EV6 will be super to test drive. It’s an excellent car and the next size up from the Niro. Once driven, you’ll know which size you want.
I also rather like the Peugeot 208 EV which is the next size down, in case you can manage another test drive.
If the Niro is at the top of your list (a smart choice), do ask about the Kia EV3 which is available this autumn and will almost certainly better the Niro.
If buying new, I would recommend a lease or PCP type deal over outright purchase due to depreciation levels.
Alternatively, buy a 1-2 year old one and check somewhere like Parker’s Price Guide or similar for current valuations. The value of used EVs has fallen by about 1/3 since 12 months ago because the supply-demand balance has shifted from shortage to glut.
In terms of finding chargers, start with Zap Map, which seems to be about the best charger spotter app for Ireland & UK. Chargemap is excellent for charger spotting and also for paying for chargers in at least France, UK and a number of other neighbouring countries.

Enjoy the brave new world of EV driving! BF

2 Likes

And don’t forget Tesla has opened up a lot of its chargers to non-Teslas. They’re easy to use, relatively cheap, and have a simple app. If I travel outside Kent, it’s the network I look to use. My BMW i3s sits there taking 50 kW. I rarely stay longer than 30 minutes. There are even more Tesla chargers in France, Belgium, and the Netherlands.

Yes, Tesla struck a deal with the European Commission in which they have agreed to open up 1/4 of their Supercharger locations to non-Tesla owners.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

I plot my way around the UK via Tesla these days. A few areas ofbthe UK not served that well ( for a 42kwh battery that is). But once in europe it is m7ch better.

Indeed, the EU is imposing hefty duties on those Chinese manufacturers that are subsidised by the state - 47% for MG’s owner.

ID4 owner here for almost three years. Had some early product issues first year but today an awesome car. Once driving electric going back is going to be very difficult. Actually the ID3 was the first electric I drove. Super fun car!

I’ll never buy anything else than electric if I have the possibility. No going back now :+1: Go for it. You won’t regret it.

4 Likes