Anybody have Mini Disc in their system?

Yep… three DAT players here… one has bitten the dust… tape mechanism failure beyond repair. Main player is a Tascam model that I bought for music production, and it’s still here. To be honest I only occasionally now SPDIF up into my Hi-Fi system.

1 Like

Excellent - pictures, please!

I won an AIWA portable DAT Recorder in one of those idiot level hifi magazine competions many years ago. Used it for a while, even for live recordings (with microphone) when my Sony Walkman Pro “died”. Worked very well. Still got it - sitting in a box in the loft, along with some blank tapes and a couple of purchased pre-recorded ones. Totally redundant now that I have a Korg MR2.

As an aside … I used to fill in these free competition answers just for fun. Won quite a few things (mainly CDs)

1 Like

Mat, the guy who runs the splendid Techmoan website and YouTube channel, is an obsessive collector of MD players – as this video attests!

3 Likes

Stock picture of my Tascam model

3 Likes

Looks identical to the Pioneer D-05 that I used for about ten years.

I wonder which was the original?

2 Likes

I have one of these Sony '980 QS

and a Teac champagne coloured one, cant recall the model number.
Don’t say champagne coloured too loudly, remember the champagne mu-so that we had to rename Dune? Wish I’d been at the factory earlier in 2018, could have saved some time+cost+bother.

found it, md-h500

2 Likes

I’m having great Fun with my recently acquired DAT player, while it still works! In fact, on my to do list this weekend is to finish my mix tape. It’s a consumer Sony model, but fits nicely into my ES stack.

I would get an MD deck but my system has been assembled with 1990/1991 components so a MD deck would have different branding/ fascia design and would look odd…oh, and I must not let the stack grow any higher for the sake of family harmony!

5 Likes

The good ol days when power cords weren’t removable.

1 Like

They probably came out at the same time and are the same inside, although the MkII Tascam had improved innards. Possibly Pioneer for the consumer market, Tascam for the professional market. As you say apart from the rack mounts, the logo and labelling they look identical. My Tascam is about 20 years old I think… can’t honestly remember exactly when I bought it.

Think I bought mine around 1998 so similar time to you

Long gone…

4 Likes

Yep. Had portable MD players along with home player of both MD and DAT. Tape mechanism has broken on the DAT machine but my home MD player is still part of my system although rarely played even though I have over 300 mini discs. The model is the Sony MDS JB920

I was obsessed with having all the track titles embedded and it took hours to key in all the info every time I recorded a CD onto MiniDisc.

Great fun though.

2 Likes

Finally dusted off my old Sony MZ-R55, put in new batteries, plugged in my trusty Shure 535 iems, and continued listening to where I left off some time circa 2003. The sound isn’t terrible compared to listening 535s from Roon output to an iPad.

Now I need to get the weird rechargeable battery so I can remove the AA battery attachment. It’s convenient but kills the design.

1 Like

Well… listened to the “The Handsome Family” mini disc that was in my player for about 3-4 hours. That burned through 4 new AA batteries! Maybe that’s why I was into rechargeable batteries back then? Still seems excessively horrible. Time to reload I guess.

Dredging up the past may not have been the best idea. At the end of the album was an unrelated song that I recorded from a movie back in the day. Really liked the song and spent a lot of time trying to figure out who sang it, what it’s called, and how I can listen to it in higher fidelity. Never could find any info. Last night I once again determined to figure out this song.

Spent a couple of hours entering about 100 different google searches, searched every feasible combination on lyrics sites, and even ran it through Shazam. In the end, I was again unable to get any information. Unfortunately I don’t even remember what movie it was in. Also I think the credits didn’t specifically indicate anything otherwise I would’ve figured it out back in the 90’s. Completely forgot about but now I’m obsessed.

I have a tascam MD350 and a sony that has an extremely powerful pitch shift - useful in recording.
These fit with the korg D16, Roland VS2480 and TC effects units that all use toslink digital connections…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.