Anybody have the Spendor D7?

For some time now I’ve been looking at this speaker (not the D7.2—too out of my price range) and was wondering what folks here who might own them (or maybe at one time did) think of the D7s. Specifically, how is the bass extension and pressurization in their respective rooms? My room is 17.5’x15.5’ with a 9’ semi-cathedral ceiling that flattens at the top; not many parallel angles, either, so it makes for a very nice listening experience overall. I enjoy every music genre imaginable, but really like the depth of electronic bass and the lowest range of the piano pretty much every listening session (even though measurements in my room don’t reach 20Hz flat but does an admirable job anyway). You can check my system, but what do people think of them as standalone ‘full-range’ speakers without a sub or subs? I’m admittedly hesitant to forego my subwoofers if they are bass-light (I’m reading too many conflicting reports in this regard). Thanks in advance all!

I couldn’t audition them here, but I definitely would have.

Have you considered the Fyne speakers though? I got a pair of F502SPs and they have plenty of bass response. Fyne has since released an SP version of the smaller units, F501SP. I think they would be similar dimensions and price to the Spendor D7s. I bet they are a cracking unit.

2 Likes

I used D7s for several years and found them to be superb.

Speakers are a very personal choice so it is very difficult for individuals to recommend for others especially if you take into account different rooms and systems etc better to listen beforehand if possible.

They seem tone fairly room tolerant mine were either side of a chimney breast and 300mm from the rear wall.

I did har some Fyne speakers at the Bristol show earlier this year and thought they performed very well and were good value for money,finished well and a good choice of finishes.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses. The difficulty here is that I live where there is no opportunity to audition either of these models. I typically would not post a thread about what do you think about speaker A or B, because I know it is entirely a personal preference and room (inter)dependent choice; with that there is zero doubt or opportunity for debate. I have owned either Harbeth or Spendors in the past, so know it is the sound I generally prefer (accurate tonality and midrange magic). It’s just I have no idea what the new D7 sounds like compared to classic Spendors. After copious amounts of researching it sure sounds like exactly what I would enjoy for years to come, however I’d need to supplement the purchase, which means the subs would likely have to go, which I’m more than okay with so long as the D7s reach ‘low and tight’. I’m not looking for ‘more, window-rattling’ bass; I have two subs as it is and you’d never even know they’re there, as there only purpose it to support and fill-in as much of the bottom-end as realistically as possible. It’s a two-channel system only, all I care about is accuracy, not how it feels in my chest.
My Harbeths are 3’ from the front wall, about 3’ from the sidewalls, 7’ or so apart; my listening position is probably close to 7’ but there is room to experiment in all of this. Like I say, I am pretty sold on this model given its generally high praise and what people have reported are its strengths and overall sound signature. Given my room size and how I’ve described what I’m looking for, is the opinion or likelihood that the D7 has enough bass to possibly forego having to use a sub or subs? I hope this helps.

I’ve been using D7s for about a year with a nap250 dr and think they’re great. I certainly wouldn’t consider adding a sub to my set up as I find they produce a nice full bass and anymore would be unbalanced.

1 Like

Hi @Stepdol!
Thank you for your response. This is certainly encouraging. Although my SuperNait 2 doesn’t have the pedigree as your NAP250, each amps’ 80W certainly helps me in understanding how the D7 can reasonably perform. It sounds like they like power (even though it has been stated they perform nicely with SET amps, too) to bring out their best in the bass department.

I auditioned some Chartwell speakers locally back in February. The store has A&B class equipment. The speakers we’re setup up with line magnetic amps. I’ve never heard anything as pleasurable and the price is more than affordable. My selection 4 speakers has me listen for the singer’s breath inhaling and exhaling. I also enjoy listening to drummers brushes making their soft tonal sounds. During this virus I’ve been listening 2 a lot of music from different genres such as Appalachian, bluegrass, and Americana. The banjos accordions and fiddles from these Alt country bands will certainly give you a better appreciation for speakers.

1 Like

Yes sir. I have used D7 for many years and like them a lot. As I have upgraded my system over the years they reveal more detail. I wouldn’t use a sub personally it’s more than fine. My only criticism is noticing a slight sharpness with some upper range female vocals. I believe this may have been addressed in the D7.2 but I haven’t done any comparison. Also I don’t know how it compares with the modern A7. I did audition the two years ago and saw a small improvement over the A7 hence went for the D7. In conclusion it’s a cracking speaker and fits well with the Naim sound

1 Like

Thank you @IanB61! This kind of response seems very consistent. It really helps me hearing that you wouldn’t use a sub. I think I recall ever seeing just a handful that really tried addressing whether to use a sub or not, and of those responses I’ve read no one recommending it based on their listening. I think a couple tried but found it really difficult to integrate well.
I’m glad you’ve enjoyed them for so long! This is what I’m hoping for as well. Cheers!

Hi I’ve been a D7 owner for a number of years and would mention that Spendor seems to match Naim really well with their pace and dynamics. I upgraded to the Spendor classic 100’s which are an amazingly natural acoustic sound but ungainly to look at. I’m selling the D7’s to a friend which says more than enough. Really very good speakers that are extremely attractive aesthetically with a slimline effect that also allows smaller rooms to be accommodated as well. I would best describe them as annoyingly good because they really cover all types of music extremely well with extended bass on good recordings. However there is a sense of brightness to them sometimes which you quickly forgive with the transparency. I added a Rel sub for interest but in honesty it wasn’t needed and I unplugged it. The annoyingly good part with the D7 is not wanting to sell them because they’re very good but somehow wanting a slightly more warm sound from time to time ( classic series) . I would buy them and enjoy many years. The upgraded version wont be required.

1 Like

Hi @Rannochlad. It seems the classic 100’s are quite a favorite from what I know. I don’t know that I would call them ungainly to look at. I rather like their looks, but as they say, to ech their own.
Thanks for posting your experience with the D7. I enjoy your description of ‘annoyingly good’, and I think I understand what you’re saying here. I’m pretty big on detail. I feel like I’ve had a system that’s on the warm side of neutral long enough. That said, I feel for a relatively modest system it’s quite revealing within its own price/performance range as well. When I took the time and used lots of patience in integrating subs with the aid of room correction, I was able to really gain a true understanding of what solid bass and once in a while sub-bass sounds like. I suppose I don’t want to lose that sense, even if the D7 would likely hover around 30-ish Hz a few dB down and drop like a rock from there. I’ll have to measure to be certain, but if it’s in the ballpark I’d imagine I’d be happy.
Again, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.