Anybody using B&W805 D3 thoughts re compatibility with Naim

Have 805 Signatures on FS805 stands, filled with ‘aqua gravel’ (normal intended for the bottom of fish tanks, basically washed stone in small pieces) on Nordost Titanium Pulsar points. Before the Signatures I have N805s for many years.
Setup in a more near-field listening environment, on the corners of an equilateral triangle 2.4m apart, with no toe in, but also 1m from the back & side walls. Listening position is then middle of the room, a good 5m from the far wall. Being an old building, there are also high ceilings.
As with any speaker, room placement is important, along with what driving them. 805 before the ‘S’ model, had a cross over that was harder to drive, needed plenty of current and a firm hand from the amp. I believe during development the 805N were voiced using Mark Levinson amplification. Much of the development for the 805S was to make them easier to drive and cheaper to make (no cut out on the top of the cabinet for the tweeter assembly).
The Signatures were then changes to the drivers, crossover and finishes. B&W used this model extensively at shows. Problem was they undermined higher models in the range.
I use Sim Audio Moon amplification from Canada (the only Naim parts of my system is the NDS/555DR).
I get a very full, precise expansive sound stage :blush:

Hi … in the past I have tried foam plugs in speakers and it tends to squash the dynamics and make the speaker a little lifeless…I will try them if I have an issue…cheers

Hi Simon wow thanks for reply that was very interesting…I wish I had the room!!! I did hear a youtube clip with the 805s on the end of moon amps … and they did sound great…

Hi. I have owned the 805D3 for 12 months. Initially I was using a Superuniti but have now upgraded to 282/250 and ND5XS2. I wouldn’t criticise them for being too bright. I find the detail and power they unearth from well worn vinyl (RP6) and digital very appealing. If you find the right recording ( something like Rumours Fleetwood Mac ) in high-res they can be breathtaking. Not the basiest speakers but adequate in this area

1 Like

Ok … I did my audition … basically the bass output in my small room was overpowering and aggravated the room modes. I tried the bungs … and fully bunged it was better - but would require DSP to fully correct. It was not bright and it was nicely detailed. the room modes in my room seem to take place at around 60-65hz … I compared with the PMC 21 which controversially are amazing the 805 treble is a touch more refined and better integrated … the sound stage between the two was on point and - the pmc at least equaling.
To sum up I think the 805D3 is a really good speaker just not suited to my room - I think its a great small speaker for a bigger room! It likes power and the more you give it the livelier and more spirited it becomes - for that I think it needs commending. For me alas - I think I only have one last option open to me the Linn Kan … this has allot less bass power under 70hz and should not excite the room I also think I could get away with no DSP … which can only be positive. To all those out there with 805D3’s that work with the room - I am envious - for it is a fine speaker. As for the PMC 20.21 this is an amazing little speaker - that I am quite happy to live with - albeit with a little DSP. I will finish building my Kans - ultimately one day I may well move my gear into the main lounge - meanwhile I wish to thank Audio T for allowing me to borrow a set of 805D3 signatures…

1 Like

I would like to add the finish of the signatures - is fabulous a credit to B&W.

For small rooms, how about ATC (SCM 11 or 19), Kudos Titan 505, or Sonus Faber Electa Amator III? (pricey at £9K but look gorgeous and get great reviews)

How about a pair of Sonus Faber’s or Proac Tablets, Acoustic Energy original AE1s or even BBC LS3/5A

Or even a pair of Castle standmounts - such as the Richmond Anniversary (http://www.castle.uk.com/richmond-anniversary)

The proac tablets - appeal. LS35Aa whilst nice - is not really my cup of tea. I tried the ATC SCM 19’s and that was really boom tastic and a bit dull for my liking. Way back I tried AE Signatures against the PMC20.21 … they did not compare…
I will finish my Kans … and take it from there…

Regarding title of thread … the 805D3 works really well with Naim equipment…not bright - punchy. Just a bit too much bass for my small room.

1 Like

Thanks for the input Richieroo. I have a rather small room as well but use DSP/convolution room correction and have wonderful results. One of the benefits of using Roon I suppose. My girlfriend loves the Prestige edition scheme as well.

I use Roon too and use the dsp…its fab. I was trying to get away with not having to use dsp… I do like the 805’s if I was going to a larger room it would be a no brainer…I would like them in white…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.