Anyone ever used a Philips Squid extension cable

I bought one years ago in a sale but never opened it.

It’s surge protected so not necessarily good (though what hifi gave it an award) but may be better than the cheap extension I’ve got powering some items currently.

No longer available but it does remind me of a squid or maybe a vorlon.

I have deleted the legacy link to Philips’ site as it may contravene rules despite them no longer making it.

I would imagine an inky blackness.

7 Likes

Ideal for Ozric Tentacles fans I assume.

2 Likes

Forgot to say I wondered if it might have some hydra like qualities.

This looks to be an absolutely horrible unit to use with any audio system.

Probably why I’ve never opened it! :wink:

It’s probably electrically equivalent to a hydra - I think you should try it!

Might be worth taking the back off (assuming it’s possible without destroying it) to see how it’s wired. You might be able to remove the surge protection too, and that would answer another question!

1 Like

On the Philips site it suggests a hifi mag award - what hifi gave it 3 starts and said something along the lines of cheap, unusual looking (pros) but affected sound.

As you say it may have the same topology as the hydra and is pretty sturdy socket/cable wise compared to the bargain shop 4 way extension I’ve needed after moving some equipment.

Perhaps it’s interfered with your mind. Have you been able to read people’s thoughts lately? You better start watching out in case the Psi Corps is coming for you.

Roger

1 Like

I’ll settle for a Lyta lookalike :smiley:

As I age I’m sadly starting to look like Londo!

@AndyR

Bloody hell, this is like a Powerline on steroids. Just opened it and hooked up theNova, NAPSC, Oppo and a HICAP for the CD 3.5. Latter two in standby/off.

Playing Ayreon streaming earlier on the Nova sounded so thin and harsh, this has just fleshed out everything so much warmer and deeper - more analogue sounding, less fatiguing. Maybe it’s colouring things, more likely all components are better quality than the cheap 4 way extension lead and it sounds better despite the surge protection circuitry. Or is it the hydra like topology?

It was originally bought for the TV/phone line/computer not audio but seems a real positive addition.

2 Likes

Excellent!!

1 Like

Probably just shows that sometimes while you don’t have a fancy/expensive power block on some components, and are settling for ‘standard/generic’ there may well be a big difference in the construction of a bargain no-name extension lead intended for general use and a standard non-audiophile extension lead made by a more reputable company.

But are you going to investigate the surge protection? :wink:

2 Likes

Probably not unless the device is really easy to open!

As said above, this looks to do the job of a Hydra. However, it is not the same, despite the earthing. A Hydra has 1 plug feeding captive multiple kettle leads. Using this has another plug and another cable for each box, and I am not sure that adding more junctions is ever ideal.

The other difference is that I have always been told that a Hydra should be used fully - having some cables unused is actively bad for the sound. I don’t remember the explanation. If true, that would be another difference because I can’t see why it would do any harm here.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying :+1:

Must say, feeling very nostalgic with all these Babylon 5 references. Now can’t get images of Lyta out of my head either.
Better call the Psi Corps or put some gloves on…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.